• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unkillable AVI's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neuen

I have downloaded a bunch of .avi's of assorted different movies and trailers. I am done with them and some of the being about 700 mb i want to get them off my hd. When i go to delete them it tells me it is being used by another program. I checked there is no other program using it. Just to be safe i restart my computer. I try again. Still nothing, the stupid things wont go away. So i try the XP dos command prompt it says the same thing about it being use or something.
Does anyone know what i could do this is makin me sick.

Put them all in one directory. Try booting into Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Open the directory and start deleting. Should work. If not try booting into a floppy and doing the same.

Sounds like the same thing i had happen when i used Morpheus.
If you are using any P2P's, shut them down then you could delete the AVI's.
If it doesnt work, go to selective booting (only boot with the OS and nothing else. essentially safe mode) and delete them.

I've had this problem, way I solved it:

Download WSFTP(ftp client) if you don't already have it, open it, browse to the folder they are located in, and hit the delete button... WSFTP ignores Windows telling it not being able to delete it... works everytime for me.

i ran into this to i set up permisons on the file so no system process's could see it

then it deleted

big pain in the butt

isnt there a override something to delete anything wither its being used or not?

OMG, guys... click on teh file and see what happens. whats windows doing when you click on it....

when you click the file or a file winxp always trys to create a thumbnail of it (you know on the left hand side) even when you have that thumbnail thing minimized. normally it takes about 20 seconds to create a thumbnail from a 700MB avi file. however is the file uses a codec which is a bit weird winxp tries for agggggggessss to do a thumb and while doing a thumb the file is locked.
its a painnnnnnnnn.

Back