• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Comp is botting into windows...BSODS, never-ending

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dalilman52

hey all, i was running hdd regenerator on the comp but then decied to run scandisk at the same time (i have no idea why) so windows 98 started acting up, it wouldnt let me open new windows by right clicking and selecting open new window, but ctrl+n works fine...it then also wouldnt let me run scandisk because it sed it wouldnt run because another program has locked c drive, probably hdd regnerator (the d drive on the old comp has about a million bad sectors), but i closed hdd regenerator and i still got that error message

then, i tried rebooting but then after i rebooted, it would POST, then go to the windows 98 splash screen for a few seconds then a BSOD would appear, i press "any key" then after i do, i get this flashing underscore at the top left of the screen and all activity just stops right there, the underscore keeps blinking, it doesnt load into windows or anything, hdd activity light is not lit, so i know its not loading windows

so do yall think i should back up the files on the main comp and then reformat? nothing seems to be working...unless....

ok i bought a new hdd on this past sunday ( i knew the 2 hdds in the old system were bound to die verrryyy soon, good thing i did) its a WD 120 gb 7200 rpm ata-100 caviar drive, its pretty nice, better than the HD in the system in my sig :p

rite now im installing windows xp on it, already partitioned and formatted the OS partition

Back