• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water-cooling voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jibby

How much volts do you feed your overclocked chip with water-cooling and for how long of a period.
Please post what your water-cooling set/computer setup if its not in your sig.

Last edited:
It's in my sig, but no detailed info.

I'm usually willing to run as high as 2v actual, but it's been hard to realize. Voltages get a little unstable on my NF7-S. Watercooling is down now, but I was running that for a good 8 months or so.

Watercooling will soon consist of (when it's back up) of a DTek Spir@l CPU block, 2x chevette heatercores, and a Mag3 pump.

What a coincedence, my watercooling is also down for overhauls and upgrades ;)

I ran my 1800+ at 2.06 in the ABIT NF7-S BIOS - which means about ~1.96V aveerage actual Vcore. The NF7 undervolts like a crazy Leafs fan, and mine needed the L12 mod to get above 1.85V actual stably.

A good rule of thumb is to just gauge it by your temperatures - below around 50 degrees celcius is a "safe zone" in my opinion - although with high voltages, and high overclocks a better goal is sub 40 degrees celcius.

The other part of it is finding your brick wall. The better cooling you have, the lower a Vcore you will need for any given overclock to be stable, and at a certain point temperatures and voltage increases exceed a "safe" amount per MHz raised. My wall with my (old) water system was about 1.9-2.0 actual Vcore, after that a 10 MHz raise came at the cost of a comparatively huge overvolt, and a skyrocketing temperature.

To put it in layman's terms the cooling reaches a point where it cannot "handle" the Voltage, although it is a bad way to put it because the processor factors in as well.

on my abit rig, I run the voltage @ 2.03volts (1.98 - 2.01 actual)

running a dual loop system...L30-120.2-RBX-res on the cpu side.

Yeah. Like I've told people, once you start pushing past 1.85v (and even crossing the 1.7v line, to a lesser degree) temperatures just start shooting up. With my lapped Spir@l, single chevette core, and Danner Mag 3, I still hit 45C load at 1.95. Pushing past that...stuff starts to get really warm.

XP 1600@2013 (Pally core)
Epox 8K3A+
1.93 volt vcore
Cascade
Eheim 1250
Chrysler heater core- 12"x6"
1/2" ID tubing.
cpu temp 38c currently

I have run this chip at considerably higher voltages: I was @ 2.1volts for about 6 months and 2030 or so mhz.....but the mobo blew up!
I had to scavenge 8 capacitors and a choke coil (or what LOOKS like one ;)) from a dead mobo to resurrect it. :D

Since then it has been running fine and at reduced voltages for the same oc.

Voltage increases are a good thing up to a point, but then you start hitting Diminishing Returns. I can currently run stable @2030 or so with about 2volts on the vcore, but there is little difference in performance and a larger difference in temps.
And past yet another point, it does not matter HOW good your cooling is: components will die.

I'm a wussy boy with voltages. I dont like to go much higher than stock if I dont have to.

bucken77 said:
I'm a wussy boy with voltages. I dont like to go much higher than stock if I dont have to.

Man and you run a Cascade SS right?

Hey put that mother of a block to good use.

Back