• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duct from window mod (pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bchur83

Yep the title says it all. I ran a duct from my bedroom window to my case, and wow my temps are awesome. Well here is how this started. I was thinking that since I live in Minnesota and our winters are (usually) cold, why not try to duct some outside cold air into my case. So I bought some of the flexible dryer vent ducting, about 8ft for $3. I also already had a few Tornado fans laying around. So I started by taking a cardboard box and cutting it to fit in my bedroom window. I cut a hole in it and mounted the Tornado to the box. I then put the flexible ducting around the fan and tied it securely. Then I went to my case. I used velcro to mount the ducting to the side fan support on my Xaser III case. On the fan support, a 80mm fan sits. I mounted the duct so that the 80mm case fan could also be used to draw cold air into the case, if I didn't want to use the Tornado. Well all in all, my idle temps went from 35c to 12c, and load temps went from 55c to 33c. These are with an outside temp of 0c and a room temp of around 23c. All of these temps were recorded by the TT Hardcano that came with my case, with the temp sensor under the core of my chip. All other specs on my setup are in my sig. Well here they are, the pics that you have been waiting for.

intake2small.jpg

case1small.jpg

support1small.jpg

casefan1small.jpg

looks good man.

how do u prevent from condensation if it hits real cold and it's blowing in -10 or -20 air in ur computer.

vincent_1985 said:
looks good man.

how do u prevent from condensation if it hits real cold and it's blowing in -10 or -20 air in ur computer.

Well I haven't had a problem with condensation yet, but I will have to keep an eye on it.

archilochus said:
Great use of free A/C. Are you going to make a wood panel for the widow before that one gets wet? Chilly Bchur...
THE FANMAN:cool:

Yeah, wood will be my next step. I figured I would test it out this way, and see how it did, then make it a little more permanent.

i open my windows sometimes in the winter on a cold day to drop my temps, it drops about 10c, but then again i dont live in minnesota :D, sometimes i do it just to see how low it will go :)

ya well it can easily hit -30 here and feel liek -45 with the wind chill!

how how is the window? What ur plans if it rains heavily and u ain't home and it drips into ur tubing and the fan may draw some of the evaporation and vapors.

not to down grade ur stuff or anything just giving u a heads up on things that can and would happen in real-time. As so you can prepare ahead!

vincent_1985 said:
ya well it can easily hit -30 here and feel liek -45 with the wind chill!

how how is the window? What ur plans if it rains heavily and u ain't home and it drips into ur tubing and the fan may draw some of the evaporation and vapors.

I'm not planning on using it all year round or all the time for that matter. I just wanted to play with temps and see how low I could go. I figured that since it is cold outside, I would take advantage of it. If the weather forcast says snow or rain in it, then I will shut it off and close the window. I only run it when I am around home, that way if it does snow, I can shut everything up.

bchur83,
Dude im so with you on that:D

Allthough I dont have near the temps you have, here is mine
pubbrowse.asp

Definately go with some wood, made mine so that I can remove it at any given moment and collapse untill next usage.

Laterz,
3sixes -aka- dafanman

Back