• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could my PSU be holding me back?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fronic

No matter what I try, I'm not able to get a good overclock with my week 20 DUT3C, I can actually do up to 2ghz at 1.675 volts, anything close to 2.1ghz I need atleast 1.85 volts.

I am able to run fine using 9.5 x 205 (1948) at 1.65 , right now I'm doing 11 x 182 (2002) at 1.675. If I go anywhere above this, like 11 x 195 I need atleast 1.85v and my fan cranked to full blast or else prime fails.

I have in my case, 1 CD writer, 2hd's, 120mm fan and currently only an 80mm cpu fan.

I see you havea Fortron which is a very good brand. However, even the best of brands produce dud units (yes, even in the world of six sigma, we still produce defects). The only reliable way to tell if your PSU isn't up to snuff is to take a multimeter and measure the output of each rail. If you don't have one, a decent DIGITAL multimeter will run you about $30.

~THT

it sounds like u just have a bad stepping of a 1700+, the DUT3C's are most likely tbred-a cores, the a cores are basically palominos in a different looking chip, and palominos are very bad for OCing, the psu is usually not a problem unless ur setting a vcore of 1.875 and it is under-volting it beow 1.875, another symptom of a psu hindering ur OC is when it resets all the time, or just shuts down prematurely

Any idea where I can get a good stepping B core?

Also, with my Epox, I was able to post at 224fsb, upped it to 225 and fried my bios chip... But still, the chip was able to take it.

to get one, u would have to browse thru "mom and pop" stores and ask for an inspection of each chip, and sometimes if u call an online retialer, they can look at each one for you

sometimes stores like compusa or best buy dont sell them very fast and may have an older stepping, but majot online retailers will already have the locked chips, amd has started to lock a lot of their newer xp chips

Ok, I installed another motherboard and I'm getting exactly the same readings in voltage as with my ASUS. The motherboard is a Gigabyte 7DXR+ AM 761 chip:

12v is 11.61
3v is 3.2

I had exactly the same readings before for my ASUS. Why would my 12v be so low?

well u dont get very exact readings from the temp reading proggies, the only way to get a 100% accurate (or close) would be to use a DMM (digital multi-meter)

dalilman52 said:
it sounds like u just have a bad stepping of a 1700+, the DUT3C's are most likely tbred-a cores, the a cores are basically palominos in a different looking chip, and palominos are very bad for OCing, the psu is usually not a problem unless ur setting a vcore of 1.875 and it is under-volting it beow 1.875, another symptom of a psu hindering ur OC is when it resets all the time, or just shuts down prematurely

Uhhhh ... Wrong! :eek:
That dUt3c 1700 is a Thoroughbred B core.
And the Tbred are a different structure from the Palomino chips.
.13 micron vs. .18 micron ... less transistors too. :p
Where do you get your information?

The Tbred A are dLt3c. (1.5v by default)
Most Tbred B are dUt3c (1.6v by default) but
some B cores have been made to run at 1.5v default. (dLt3c)
That's why they OC so well. :)

Please take some time and read some pages like this* and
this*.

And please don't take my post the wrong way as I'm
only trying to stop the disinformation & misconceptions before
they spread. :)

Last edited:
Back