• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC trouble

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hookj5

I have been unsucessful getting over 2.15.My rig is all in my sig. My CPU is unlocked so I have tried multiplyers as low as 9 and as high as 12.5. I have run my clock from 166 all the way to 215. No matter what the configuration, 215X10 or 174x12.5, or something in between, my system crashes to a blue screen with NO messages on it. I have checked my PSU output with MBM5 and it seems fine.http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?style=album My temps are well within safe limits 32-44*C. My memory timings are 11 2 2 2. I have tried upping the volts to the cpu and the memory in different combonations. My MoBo is rev 2.0 and my BIOS is uber 1007. I have read tons in this and other fourms, but I am starting to get discouraged. Maybe if I could pin down what exactly is failing and why. That would be a starting point. Is there a way to test the memory at the settings guaranteed by the Mushkin?
For the nForce2 chipset, the rated specs are:
CAS Latency: 2
RAS to CAS Delay: 2
Precharge Delay: 2
Active to Precharge Delay: 6
DDR Voltage 2.5-2.75V
I spent a lot of money on the memory and have not been able to get even a tiny bit higher OC than when I was using Kingston Value RAM. Any comments, suggestions, or general replies are VERY welcome.

Hookj5 said:
I have been unsucessful getting over 2.15.My rig is all in my sig. My CPU is unlocked so I have tried multiplyers as low as 9 and as high as 12.5. I have run my clock from 166 all the way to 215. No matter what the configuration, 215X10 or 174x12.5, or something in between, my system crashes to a blue screen with NO messages on it. I have checked my PSU output with MBM5 and it seems fine.http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?style=album My temps are well within safe limits 32-44*C. My memory timings are 11 2 2 2. I have tried upping the volts to the cpu and the memory in different combonations. My MoBo is rev 2.0 and my BIOS is uber 1007. I have read tons in this and other fourms, but I am starting to get discouraged. Maybe if I could pin down what exactly is failing and why. That would be a starting point. Is there a way to test the memory at the settings guaranteed by the Mushkin?
For the nForce2 chipset, the rated specs are:
CAS Latency: 2
RAS to CAS Delay: 2
Precharge Delay: 2
Active to Precharge Delay: 6
DDR Voltage 2.5-2.75V
I spent a lot of money on the memory and have not been able to get even a tiny bit higher OC than when I was using Kingston Value RAM. Any comments, suggestions, or general replies are VERY welcome.

Personally, I would try something along the lines of 2.8 vdimm PLUS. I would try like 2.8 first, then move up a click. You shouldn't have ANY problem getting your fsb over 200. If you still can't get your fsb over 200, you MIGHT need to check your northbridge. Does your northbridge has active or passive cooling? IF it has passive, upgrade to active, if it has active, try putting some as3 under it. Oh and you have tried raising your northbridge voltage too?

And if that doesn't work, then your board possibly needs rma'd. I can't think of anything else for you to try right, but if I do, I will let you know.

And as far as memory timings, I would say those are good timings to use, because bh-5 usually goes high on fsb and retains tight timings. You might want to try 2/3/3/6 though, but it probably will not matter much.

I am sorry if you have tried a lot of this stuff, but I like to start simple, and work to the bigger stuff, becasue I am sure your smart but sometimes the simple is looked over.:)

No one has ever told me about the northbridge. Right now it has passive and I don't know where to boost the voltage to it. I will look into that and getting active cooling. Right now tho, temp shouldn't be a prob cuz I sleep with the window open and the ambient temp has been around 20*C. Right it is the middle of the day and the ambient temp is 18*C. I am willing to try anything, new MoBo, new CPU, new PSU, but I would hate to spend money upgrading parts that aren't failing. Like spending $300 on killer B-H5 RAM and not getting any better OC. I will keep you posted.

You raise the NB volts in your bios, but I do not know what they call it in your bios, heck I don't remember what it is called in mine. Anyway though, look in your manual.:) It very well might help with your fsb, but also try like 2.8 to ram..

I upgraded my northbridge cooling by adding old cpu-fan ontop of the stock NB heatsink. Load temp dropped from 50 to 36 at 20-25 dgr. ambient(room temp)....

Back