• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can't go past 3 Ghz... any help ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssclark

Registered
spec :

p4 2.4c 800fsb ht etc
Abit Is7-E
Geil handpicked ddr400 pc3200 512 (two dualchannel sticks of 256)

antec 420 ps and a veritable airconditioners worth of 120mm fans

back to my problem. I can't make my comp get passed 3008 Mhz. at 3.1 Ghz it's fussy and will reboot, and at 3.2 it wont boot period. I also fail Prime95, but only occasionally (at 3.0) It will go for 5-6 hours and then stress fail. Or sometimes it will go 30 minutes. I haven't up'd the voltage core yet because I wasn't sure how much to go up and din't want to risk anything dying. This is my first "interlude" in oc'ing so I'm having fun so far! :) anyway a little help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but on the failed 3.2 test my comp wouldnt reboot so I took out the cmos battery to reset it. When I came back to windows my sound completely doesn't work. I went to the abit site and got new drivers but I sill get an error
Bad Direct Sound driver
any ideas on if it's related and how to fix it ?

Im available on aim if anyone needs me as well steveclark52

Is your soundcard integrated on motherboard????
After CMOS was reseted, your BIOS could disable it, check your BIOS...
A little voltage incrase of Vcore should help you. Set your CPU:RAM ratio to 5:4 or 3:2, relax your Ram timings and increase a Ram voltage.
Good luck!!!

when I went back inot the bios it sad my onboard sounds was enabled but all my computer does is a freaking massive beep when I do something ... the computer beep x 10.

Also any specifics? on vcore raise etc.

you don't need to pull the CMOS battery. There is a clear CMOS jumper that resets the BIOS. Turn off the power (unplug the cord and wait for a few seconds), then try reseting the BIOS with the clear CMOS jumper. Then go into the BIOS and set things back to the way you want. Try default speed first. Beeping more than once on boot up could be RAM or video card problems too. Reseat those and retry.

Once you get back up and going, you should update the BIOS. Disable the last two GAT settings and "fix" the PCI/AGP to default 33/66 MHz. Attempts above 3 gig should be used with the memory ratio set at 5:4.

The sound might be because you trashed the Windows registries or corrupted the drivers. If you didn't have the PCI bus locked, then that explains why. Try reloading the drivers and if that don't work, you might need to reformat the harddrive and reinstall Windows.

well it doesn't beep on start up at all. it's if I do something that would normally make a sound. like an illegal action it just beeps once then goes on about it's business. and I have onboard sound not a pci sound card so why would the pci bus affect my onboard sound ?

Because the on-board sound runs off the PCI bus. It's known that PCI bus running to far out of spec will cause problems with Abit's on-board sound.

I'd like to say I really appreicate your help ... you were right ... and you are my hero

hrmm I think I'm going to stay with 3.1 for now ... when I try to go to 3.2 it beeps very angrily at me. If any ideas that'd be wonderful :) but I'm out of ideas atm

I just wanted to thank you guys again :) I saw a couple threads where people talked about how this thread was unhelpful to nubs occasionally but no one was to me. I appreaciate all the help and went from completely scrub to oc'ing my 2.4c over 1 GHz to 3.45 so thanks again :)

Oh so that's what he meant by "... you were right ... and you are my hero"... lol. Woops. Been swimming in too many lines of code... can't read straight and it's not even 5pm. *sigh*

Goliath

Back