• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP comp won't power up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

csidd

Registered
Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes. I just finished putting together a computer with some spare parts I had lying around. I tried to boot but when I turn on the power it starts up for about 5 seconds then it shutrs off. WTF. Here is the setup.

Abit KG7 Raid
AMD XP1800+
1GB pc2100
40BGB Seagate
ATI 8500 64mb
Power supply came with the case 350w

Ihave 3 fans plugged into yhe power supply along with cd rom/floppy/HD. Did I hook up the power and reset wires wrong? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kinda sounds like you got something wrong in the switches, unplug the power and the reset switches and the just short out the pins for the power for just a second. If that solves the problem then you know it's in the switch or how you have them hooked up. If that doesn't solve the probem then it's time to strip down to the bare essentials and work it up one component at a time.

Well you could try removing some fans...but I'd check first to make sure you seated the heatsink and cpu properly. My friend had that problem once. He was on a stock AMD fan, bought a new volcano, installed it. Tried to turn on his comp, and it just refused to start. He forced it so many times that eventually he burned his CPU.

Some motherboards can detect the rpm of the CPU HSF. If it is not spinning up, the mobo will shutdown in about 5 seconds. Check your bios for a setting to disable this feature. Also, check to see if the hsf is spinning up.

Back