• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will ur system run doom 3... or industri (tenebrae2 engine release)????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brakezone

I noticed on the front articles there was something about doom 3 and if you should upgrade your hardware before or after you try the game.

Theres an quake 1 modification that attempts to keep up with doom 3 technology called tenebrae. They released thier final 1.0 engine not too long ago and the attention died down. Tenebrae 2.0 became the next mod project. Currently there is 1 compiled ready to play release of the tenebrae 2.0 engine for industri. Anybody who wants to have something that is simular to doom 3 to benchmark and try to ready themselves for doom 3 should seriously consider checking this out. I wouldn't go out and buy hardware if it can't run tenebrae 2; however, I would try to plan ahead if doom 3 was something I was going to run when it does come out.

Right now my system is
xp 2400 @ xp 3200 2.23ghz
A7n8x deluxe 165X13.5 (768pc2100 ram)
geforce 4 mx 440 (345/460)

I have tried to squeeze as much performance out of industri (tenebrae 2 release) as possible. If ur running anything like what I am you can expect between 10-30 fps at 800X600. 640X480 with some lower texture detail is a bit more acceptable; however, you can expect those fps to drop signifantly out of playable zones in a action packed multiplayer frag match. I'm still not sure about that though, it could be possible with a system like this to change settings and still get by in some multiplayer. The real problem with that is the sacrafices, would anybody want to drop thier resolutions to 640X480 and lose 75% of thier frame rate in order to have per pixel lighting and some new 3d graphics features? Well I don't know thats up to the individual computer user, but i'd say that it couldn't hurt to check out industri as the tenebrae 2 engine is completely new and much closer to doom 3 than tenebrae1. There are links for industri (the only tenebrae 2 release available) at the tenebrae 1 websight.

Yeah...it's nothing special really...I just downloaded it (didn't even get that patch that was on the page...maybe I should), and had around 25-45fps out the gate.

I think that I will just waite and try the game first hand. I cant see rushing out to buy new hardware for a game that keeps getting pushed back. I remember at about a year ago this time that people where using Doom3 as an excuse to justify going out and spending $400 on the top of the line Radeon 9700 then. Now it is a year later and the game is pushed back, along with Half Life 2 and now we are wondering if the hardware that we supposedly bought just to run these 2 games is enough to run the games. Man oh man, do the hardware manufactures have us by the :eek: or what?

TUK101 said:
Man oh man, do the hardware manufactures have us by the :eek: or what?

Very well put...

I have only once upgraded for a game...but I had a damn good excuse back then...I was on a K6-233, 32mb ram, 2mb video, and had just gotten my hands on Unreal Tournament, and I guess playing at 320x200 (or whatever it was), with 6 fps, just wasn't good enough for me ::rolleyes:: :)

Nowadays I upgrade simply because I enjoy playing with new toys constantly! ;)

Tenebrae 2 is very cool, but ill be waiting for DOOM III to come out before anyone jumps to conclutions. Just becuase it is based on the QI engine dosent mean it has alot to do with how the doom III engine is coded at all.

GT2000 said:

Very well put...

I have only once upgraded for a game...but I had a damn good excuse back then...
Nowadays I upgrade simply because I enjoy playing with new toys constantly! ;)
Same here. My first computer was an Emachines 500 (Celeron 500) with 32mb of ram and onboard 4mb graphics. Diablo 2 didnt run well with that setup and after finding this site and asking around I ended up with a Voodoo 3 and another 32mb of ram, at the time that was $150 which was all of my budget and then some. So yes, I have upgraded just to play a game, but at least the game was out and I was playing it already :rolleyes:

So, how does it look? Is it as good as the QIIIa engine games or dare I say... better?

I never played QI, other then a a few minutes just to see what it was like. It would be like playing a brand new game if the gfx look good.

Doom3 does look amazing, and I know my comp will be able to run it just fine. I just finished upgrading, but not for any specific game... I just couldn't pass up the incredible deals that were going on, and the fact that I could put together a 3+GHz system for around $450. Of course, waiting until after xmas to get my 9800 Pro really helped, as I grabbed it for a song after a major price drop the first week in January =D.

Okay, okay, so I DID have Doom3 and HalfLife 2 specifically in mind when I built this rig... I'm guilty! ;)

Goliath

Honestly...there's no shame in our game...we're overclockers...aren't we the ones who are known for always playing with the latest and greatest anyways? Generally speaking of course.

I suppose that you are right in saying that we shouldn't feel guilty for constantly upgrading. I drool everytime that a new video card or CPU is released. (I just have too many other priorities that need to be taken care of so I cannot justify the $400 the latest video card). But with that being said, I still think that we are dummies for complaining about prices and yet we are the first ones standing in line with our $$$ in hand just to try out the newest video card that is nothing more than the exact same thing as the last one that we tried 3 weeks ago except that it is 30mhz faster core and 50mhz faster memory :confused: :bang head :-/ .

GT2000 said:
Honestly...there's no shame in our game...we're overclockers...aren't we the ones who are known for always playing with the latest and greatest anyways? Generally speaking of course.

Well their are always those that are known for always playing with the oldest possible :attn: :attn: :attn:

This looks interesting. I was thinking about building a vintage Pentium150@200 with a Verite vidcard and going back and playing V-Quake again. I finally have acquired all the parts except for a PS2 adapter to the old AT keyboard socket. But I may just give this a try, instead. Is there something like this for Q2? I liked it more than Q1.
I have to admit I have done upgrades for games. Went from a 386 to a 486 to play Doom. From the 486 to a Pentium 133 to play Quake. To a P-II 350 to play Quake II. To a Clery 366@550 for ,,,,,,,,. You all get the picture :)

Back