• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

virtual pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

hi,

i have an old //FAST multimedia video I/O card i inherited from someone and it does not function in windows xp. the company went out of business and never wrote drivers for xp. so basically, ive checked all over and the only way to run this card on an xp machine is to create a fat32 partition and boot into win98/ME to use this card for anything. well it wouldnt be the best for me to do that, since win98/ME dont suport dual cpu, so i would have to capture video, reboot into xp then edit, then reboot, just to output to vcr...my question is, if i wer to get virtual pc on my machine, could i use it to work this card? i mean, does VPC emulate the hardware as well? i have drivers and the software program for it for win 98, and id just need the card for input/output, and once the video is in i could just close vpc and edit in xp...so can anyone answer my simple question here?

Look at the chip on that card and try to find that chip on another vendors card.Usually you may find that chip in use by another vendor even though the manufacture is gone..It might just be that the chips were bought up and some other maker of capture cards had that chip for there product...

vpc does not emulate hardware, just the one it emulates for itself like the s3 videocard. i don't know how much your card is worth but the money you "spent" on vpc would probably cover the cost of buying a new one.

i don't really think you can get it to work... unless, you can get windows98 drivers installed on winxp somehow.. :-/

as far as virtual pc goes, it has a given set of hardware that it always emulates. for example, if i were to boot windows98 through virtual pc, it would think i have a 4mb s3 virge video card, it probobly wouldn't even recognize a multimedia card.

i would trie what diehrd said... try to find another set of drivers, possibly for a different card, and it MAY work in xp with your card. unlikely though.

sorry for the bad news,
Filip

Hey, just curious, do you know of any windows 2000 drivers for it? If they have those, then those might work. No guarantees though, but if they wrote some windows 2000 or windows NT drivers, I'd give those a shot. After all, xp is based on windows 2000, and 2000 is based on windows NT if I'm not mistaken. So maybe...who knows... But I'd try that, I had a modem that ran under xp using windows 2000 drivers. I won't guarantee anything, but it's worth a shot right?

um that is quite a problem. They DID write NT drivers that function under 2K. When run under XP however, the blue screen of death occurs either right after video capture, or when exiting the editing program. I havent done it myself , others have reported this alot. thanx tho

Back