• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

everquest?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amanojyaku

i have played diablo 2 and its expansion for about 3 years now and i need a new addictive game. i want to know which everquest I should get because there are so many of them. which one is the best one.

o, and how much is the subscription and would i be fine using a 56k connection

You won't be fine with a 56K modem in any game anymore man. It's pretty much obsolete.

As far as everquest goes, well... If you want to play a game that has come out about 4 years ago, has got 4 year old graphics, and start off at level 1, where everyone else is level 50, and has been the cause of a suicide, everquest is your best bet.

Everquest 2 is coming out in about 2-3 months if they don't pull some source code bull, like the HL2 producers, and it should be really good. Graphics look amazing, etc. There's a slew of MMO games that are coming out that look promising, although I've said that about A LOT of games. Then again, I've played all of them and thought most of them were really cool, save a few like Final Fantasy XI and Everquest (now). Everquest may have been cool for a person to join about 2 years after it came out... but 4 years later? No.

The few good ones that are coming out soon are:

Middle Earth Online - based on the Lord of the Rings, and the story begins as the Fellowship of the Ring is going into Moria. It's got great graphics and it's set in my favorite story of all time. Read the books when I was 10 and seeing the story spring out all over the place, now that I can really appreciate it, is absolutely wonderful.

Everquest2 - it's everquest 2.... most ppl will play it just for that :D

Lineage 2 - It looks like it's going to be really cool and has got AMAZING graphics, but Lineage 1 was really popular in Korea, and I can't stand games that cater to asian audiences. FFXI is the ultimate example of games NOT made for americans to play. There's male supermodels and furry creatures running around as player characters. Then there are games like the Dynasty Warriors series. Yes, they've got really cool ideas. I love the fact that I'm playing a warrior in a HUGE epic battle, but the story is always SOOO damn stupid, and the voice acting is the WORST I've ever seen. That all said, if they make the game anything like the typical MMO, I think they'll have a contender.

Ultima X: Odyssey - It's the sequel to Ultima Online, which was my favorite MMO, until they ruined it with Trammel and made it a kindergarten. It's based on the Unreal graphics engine. There's a lot of cool, new things in UXO like semi-real time fighting, weapons that level with you so you don't have to buy new stuff all the time, and guild vs. guild battles.

So that's my two cents. Wait a few months and don't waste $20-$50 plus the subscription fees on some OLD OLD OLD game like everquest when in just a little while a bunch of AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME ones are coming out. But, if you REEEEEEEEEEEEALLY want to get everquest even after I've told you that you'd be selling your soul to teh devil by doing so, get Everquest: Evolution. It's got every expansion pack that's been released in it, except for the latest one I think. I could be wrong about that, but I'm pretty sure.

Good luck! :D

While you might here good things about EQ its not a new game and if your just starting it migh be a lot tougher. I tried to start up over the summer and there were practically no people near my level that i could group with (and if you want to level at a decent speed youll need to group) which made the game go by really slow. You may be lucky and find some1 who can help you learn how to play and give you some items.
If you want to try a cheap MMO thats very noob and group/solo friendly I would suggest Asherons Call 1, I think it goes for like $20 and there is one expansion (Dark Majesty). Its a fairly easy game to pick up and there is practically no forced grouping just for hunting I suggest you give that one a try, its fairly addictive but then again most MMO's are :)
Also the game gets an update everything month, new quests, monsters armor ect. Its also going to have a new expansion pack coming out along with a graphics upgrade too

That game sucks. And it's the only game i know of that players kill themselves in real life over. I have heard plenty of stories about how bad people get addicted to it.. i see where it gets all it's nicknames from.

You might want to try Morrowind+ expansions or Star Wars KotOR. They are not online, but you got 56k anyway. They are the most time consuming games i ever played, i must have played Morrowind 100 times longer than any other game ever.

Morrowind has tons and tons of mods.. for anything and everything you could think of. There is some huge mods that add on entire lands that go with the lore and everything.. Tons of the mods are also as good or even much better quality than the origional stuff.

KotOR takes like 30-60 hours to beat and i am sure you could play it a few times through without getting bored.

Neverwinter Nights is also really good. I just beat the Hordes of the Underdark expansion, and let me tell you, it rocks. You get to fight in big wars and everything. It's got a really good story for today's standards.

But as far as addicting MMOs go, just wait a bit. You'll be thanking yourself that you did.

I play Everquest, but i would recommend waiting. I've been playing for about 3 1/2 years and the game just isn't the same as it was back then.

The world is so huge that finding "newbies" to group with will be almost impossible. Most of the lower level people you see running around, are higher level people who made a new character and powerlevel themselves. There are a few honestly new people but they are few and far between.

Everquest is a great game and very addicting, but I wouldn't recommend picking it up unless you know someone who could help give you a leg up, because finding help will be difficult.

like the above posters say, just wait. There are alot of other MMORPG's coming out soon with EQ2 and WoW being the big ones. Just hang with some single player games for a bit until they come out :)

I play EQ and have been since it's release. It would be hard to start out new right now. I would wait for EQII. Most everyone I know is going to switch when it comes out anyway.
Like thalzaar24 said you wont find many newbies to group with you'll pretty much be on your own. By the time you start to get close to catching up (lvls and equipment) EQII will be out and everyone will be gone.

There isnt one EQ to get over another. You'll need to buy the package that has as many of the expansions as possible. The Evolution package I believe runs $25.00 from amazon. Then another $25.00 for LDoN. Although you wont be able to use LDoN untill you reach a higher lvl. Also the monthly fee is $13.00 a month per account thats up from $10.00 a month 4 years ago which really isnt bad when you figure in the amount of time you play. I would say if you wanted to play just to kill some time buy the Evolution package and mess around with it. Dont buy LDoN or the new one comming out GoD save that money for another game or EQII. Oh and you can get away with 56K it's just harder to do so. You'll have to deal with going LinkDead more often and downloading the patches will be extremly long. I know people who still play with a 56K.

I think the game is great. I've never stuck with a game for over 4 years before. I'm sure EQII will be the same.

pay to play its also peer to peer thoughbut I cant justify paying monthly fees for a game, IF i was gonna do that I'd want the game for free.

have you ever played a pay to play game? im just saying give a try befor eyou bash it, I came from Asherons Call which in my opinion is worth paying for because you actually get new content each month not just fixes to bugs but you get loads of new stuff do and what not. Also money keeps the servers stable and helps cut down on cheating a lot. but this is just my opinion :)

I can just say World of Warcraft...I can't wait.
Blizzard is just simply very good at making games :p

Blizzard usually take thier time to make games, but I rather wait a little longer and get a really good game...

my personal two cents

EVERQUEST EMBODIES ALL THAT IS CRUEL AND UNHOLY IN THIS WORLD.

haha, of my core group of 5 close friends (me included), only me and one other person dont play everquest. and we re both damned proud of it. The amount of money that game sucks out of you is ridiculous. Especially if you re a ****tard like one of my friends. He spent at least a thousand dollars real time money buying money/armour/otherpeoples characters accounts for this game. It's sick.

Plus i've played it myself. The graphics look like cat anus. It looks like one of those reject half life mods created by something made by a 12 year old using a hacked copy of 3dmax and an outdated manual borrowed from school.

My friends all tried to convert me and i still hate this game. If you re going to go for an online game play something that you dont have to sell your soul to get.

Neverwinter nights is good. I beleive you can get the game and all three expansions for around 40-60 bucks canadian now right?
the online is really fun, as is the offline.

If you really want an addicting game, but dont need it to be multiplayer, try morrowind. That game sucked up almost as much of my time as everquest did of my friends, and i only paid for one game and one expansion, instead of one game and a kajillion expansions that add nothing substantial to the game, not to mention the 10 dollars a month.

if you wanna get into morrowind, i posted a beginners guide here

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=260858

check it out. should help you get started.

if you liked diablo 2 though, you could try diablo 1 (older but still just as fun), or dungeon seige (diablo 2 w/ different class system and parties you control...oh and pack mules :) )

all depends what kind of games you re into

(i still suggest morrowind or neverwinter nights. my two personal favourites)

hey, anyone know if prince of persia comes out for pc?

i saw prince of persia out for PC couple days ago when i went to the local EB shop i believe.

as for everquest sucking money out of people, i don't find that to be the case for me. Buying money, items and such for RL money is definately NOT a necessity for playing that game. Besides, i believe it is against the EULA and if you get caught, you can get your account banned/disabled. However, people do it all the time.

I've been playing for close to 4 years now and it's the best investment for a game i've ever had. there are maybe 2 expansions per year and the 13 bucks a month. considering how many days i've decided to play EQ instead of going out, i've saved tons of cash.

I would never commit suicide over some stupid game like EQ or quake or whatever else. You can't really blame the game for things that a person should be responisble for, but i'm not here to argue about that either. I just think it's silly that people lable it the 'suicide game' hehe.

As for the bad graphics, well, the game is about 5 years old but the graphics are not that bad. some of the new creatures and bosses of the last couple of expansions are really nice looking.

Anyhow, i still stand by my statement. Wait til the new EQ2 comes out or Worlds of Warcraft. The new City of Heros game looks like it could be good if you are into superheros as well.

Back