• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$600 for a new computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asuh

Registered
I have appx. $600 to buy a new computer. All I need is the following:

CPU - 2800+ (too much? should I try to get a 2500+ and OC?)
Motherboard - GA-7NNXP (I like the 8 IDE channels available)
RAM - 1GB Corsair XMS series (wouldn't mind kingston or mushkin but don't know which is good or bad; I would like to hit 200MHz FSB...would PC2700 be okay?)
CPU fan - Smart Fan II (stick with a reliable brand)
Thermal Grease- Arctic Silver 5?

I currently am running a 1600+, KX7-333R, 512MB PC2700, Smart Fan II, Arctic Silver II.

I am into some multimedia web design, not too heavy with gaming, but like graphic intensive programs like Photoshop and such.

Using the above info, what should I get??

Last edited:
I'd suggest going for the 2500 in lieu of the 2800; save some cash and just overclock it a little harder. As far as RAM is concerned, both Corsair and Mushkin have proven themselves to be among the best of brands when we overclockers are concerned. I suggest the use of Mushkin Black Level 2 PC3200 or PC3500; whatever your budget allows. These sticks are made with Winbond BH5 chips which allow for higher overclocks. This is especially important now that AMD has begun locking processors and forcing us to overclock just the FSB.

~THT

CPU: 2500 is fine
Mobo: go for the NF7-S
RAM: you don't need 1 gig unless you use it go for Kingston PC3000
CPU Fan: SF2 is too loud personally, and you aren't going to be generating enough heat to warant it, go for somethilng like silent boost and lap that suck till it shines like a mirror.
Thermal Paste: Good choice.

amd and intel when it comes down to it does the same job. my 1700+ was just as snappy i feel like my 3ghz p4. but i got a deal that i couldn't pass, lol.

The more I think about it, the more likely I will be to buy a 2500+ and will OC to get better timings. However, I'm still trying to decide about buying the RAM.

I have been recommended PC3200 which is fine. However, i've seen some nice Corsair PC4000 for $300. Is that worth the buy? And, I'm trying to consider about the fact that it might be useful for my next upgrade to a 64bit CPU. Or should I not even bother? It seems the current DDR will be phased out for the new DDR-II. So that makes me think, hell, I should just buy a nice generic brand of Corsair, not XMS, which will still give me a good OC. Or I could go with Kingston or Mushkin.

Suggestions?

Back