• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD replacement DOA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freezermug

Well after waiting 2 months WD finally got around to sending me a replacement rapter drive.

Im having a bit of trouble with this drive as well :mad: and wondering if there is anything special needed to get this drive to work with the ic7 board. If I disconnect all drives from the system except the floppy drive and serial rapter drive and boot into wd data lifegard diagnostics it cant identify it as a wd drive. So I cant do anything to check the new drive.

If I connect just a cd rom and the serial drive it crashes with a stop error 00000007 or something the second it trys to access the wd drive. This happens usually in the part of the xp install when you choose the drive to install it on. I have tried changing the memory ect just in case but all with the same result.

I also tried doing the F-6 during install or whatever to specify additional drivers. A bit useless since im not using raid so that didnt work either.

The serial controller is enabled in the bios and I think the other related settings are at auto. I also tried enhanced with no luck.

I cant find any way at all to get this drive to work. This is a bit different then the last bad drive I had. The other serial drive I had worked but it was messed up. It could see the drive and I could run diagnostics. I cant get the system diagnostics to reconize this new drive at all or the system to even see it. Well thats not entirely true it saw it as a drive choice in xp install and caused a stop error.

Im going to try later to hook it up to my asus board but if anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated. Its not looking to good right now.

well, the only other thing i can think of is your ide cable. try a different cable, and make sure that its not a cd cable

if it doesn't work in your other board, then i would assume the drive is doa... sad

Filip

It took a bit of doing but I finally got the asus board back up and running. Sadly tho the result was the same as the IC7 board. The system does not see the raptor drive at all. I did try a few different serial cables as well as various channels on both motherboards. The result was the same.

Even if I boot barebones floppy with wd latest diagnostic software it doesnt see the drive.

I just sent WD an email about 2 minutes ago. Im going to see what they tell me. If they tell me it is in fact a DOA then Im just going to try and get my money back. Im also not paying to ship it back to them. Im really ****ed off now and not going through the same thing all over again.

Back