• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do Intel CPUS have an onboard temp sensor...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

... that can give temperature readings? according to a gigabyte tech support guy the motherboard gets a reading from the cpu itself through one of the pins.... should i trust this reading?

The P4 has both an on chip thermal sensor and a thermal diode. These are very accurate, however the data they produce must be correctly interpreted by the motherboard. Some motherboards do not accurately read the temperature and you may need to add to or subtract from the reported value to get the correct temperature.

NookieN said:
The P4 has both an on chip thermal sensor and a thermal diode. These are very accurate, however the data they produce must be correctly interpreted by the motherboard. Some motherboards do not accurately read the temperature and you may need to add to or subtract from the reported value to get the correct temperature.
True, but as you mentioned there are 2 separate sensors, one we can monitor (if your board supports it, I know the Abit's do) and one we can not. The one we can monitor, is in a cool spot of the CPU, almost at the top surface of the die. The diode we can not read, is in a much hotter deeper part of the core and is as much as 40C hotter than the other diode. So even by reading the readable diode, we do not get a true indication of the real heat in the center of the core. Take temps with a grain of salt.

hmmm so basically just use stability as main way of determining if the overclock is safe?

Overclockers have gotten a feel for what "reported" temps are ok and what is starting to get too warm. Most of the time, as long as you don't go above low 50's load CPU temp you are fine. With that SLK900, you should be plenty cool.

A useful utility to monitor temps is Motherboard Monitor:

http://mbm.livewiredev.com

When you set up MBM, as long as your mobo is listed, it will automatically offset the temperature information with the known/tested variance for your motherboard, and you will get fairly accurate readings. It's also a great utility for monitoring voltages, fan speeds, and performing emergency shutdowns (with a free companion app) if your comp gets too toasty, your fans stop working, your rails get too high/low, etc.

Goliath

nikhsub1 said:

The one we can monitor, is in a cool spot of the CPU, almost at the top surface of the die. The diode we can not read, is in a much hotter deeper part of the core and is as much as 40C hotter than the other diode. So even by reading the readable diode, we do not get a true indication of the real heat in the center of the core. Take temps with a grain of salt.

While it is true that the thermal sensor can give a much better picture of instantaneous heating within certain sections of the die, that is irrelevant to the needs of anyone browsing these forums. The thermal diode can accurately report the current CPU temperature as a trend over the last few seconds. Which is what you want anyway.

I routinely use thermal diode readings in a lab where I work to verify that a processor is at the temperature I'm forcing it to. I have yet to see a chip where the diode did not report the correct temperature (again, as a trend over a few seconds). Despite what some motherboard makers may claim, the on-chip diode is much better at measuring die temps than any in-socket probe or thermocouple.

batboy said:
Overclockers have gotten a feel for what "reported" temps are ok and what is starting to get too warm. Most of the time, as long as you don't go above low 50's load CPU temp you are fine. With that SLK900, you should be plenty cool.

but see mbm5 says that i get up to 51 load, and i know thats ok, but it seems warm for the slk, and iv tried reseating and reapplying the heatsink/thermal compound.

NookieN said:
...the on-chip diode is much better at measuring die temps than any in-socket probe or thermocouple.
You will get absolutely no argument from me! However, every board and every CPU do report differently, even if the same make/model. All I am saying is that there is really no way to get a 'true' temp of a CPU. What is reported is a good guide, and some are more accurate than others, but I doubt we ever see a core's absolute temp.

ok, well i wasn't actually looking for the core temp. When we say oh, don't let it go above 50 its a basis for some judgement even if that temp is only for the heatspreader or something. Im trying to overclock and i can't seem to get stable past 3.1. It might be my RAM but im wondering if its my temps or something else

stan03 said:
ok, well i wasn't actually looking for the core temp. When we say oh, don't let it go above 50 its a basis for some judgement even if that temp is only for the heatspreader or something. Im trying to overclock and i can't seem to get stable past 3.1. It might be my RAM but im wondering if its my temps or something else
stan03, some boards just read much higher, take Abit for example. They seem to read 15 - 20C higher than the Asus boards. Do you know if the Gigabyte reads the on die reading or is it an insocket thermistor? For the Abit boards, I would say up to 60C is OK, for the Asus boards 50C is a bit hot. For your board, I do not know :(

here is the email i got from gigabyte

Hello,

There is no actual sensor on the board. The CPU send temperature signal from one of pin through the socket.

stan03 said:
here is the email i got from gigabyte

Hello,

There is no actual sensor on the board. The CPU send temperature signal from one of pin through the socket.
Right, the 8RDA's do that too and the temps are whacked. If that pin is sending the on-die signal, well then it is on die. Do you have MBM5 installed? If so, change the interval at which MBM5 works to 1 second from 10. Then, from idle, load the machine with P95 or something similar. If the temps jump up IMMEDIATLY, that would tell me it is an on die reading. If it is slow to react, then it is not.

nikhsub1 said:

Right, the 8RDA's do that too and the temps are whacked. If that pin is sending the on-die signal, well then it is on die. Do you have MBM5 installed? If so, change the interval at which MBM5 works to 1 second from 10. Then, from idle, load the machine with P95 or something similar. If the temps jump up IMMEDIATLY, that would tell me it is an on die reading. If it is slow to react, then it is not.

whoa, what? im slow:rolleyes: :eek:, how do i change the interval?

its already at 10 seconds, how fast do you want the reaction to be? if i launch prime it goes up in a few cycles.

it goes from 34-36-39-42-etc. seems rather slow...

Back