• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need suggestion about the two cpu i got....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gakkuken

well, i read so many good things about the p4 2.4c m0 chip, so i went out and bought one.....

and to my disappointment... this chip isn't prime95 stable even at 280fsb..... (still testing at the moment) which means this cpu will run slower than my 2.0a chip which is fully prime95 stable at 3.44ghz.

which cpu is going to be faster?

is it my 2.0a @ 3.44ghz (fully stable at prime95)
or
the ht 2.4c m0 steeping @ 3.32ghz (so far so good w/ prime95)

opinion....thx guys!

Last edited:
That 2.0a doesn't have HyperThreading and it's got a 512MHz FSB, right? The few extra 0.12 GHz or so that you can squeeze out of it won't stack up to the 2.4c HT with an 800MHz FSB.

I don't know how much time you've spent burning in your new 2.4c, but if you take time with your o/c, I wouldn't be surprised if after a few weeks of conditioning, your 2.4c wouldn't go to 3.5GHz or 3.6GHz with decent cooling. Of course, you may have just been unfortunate and gotten a dud. I hope that's not the case! Good luck.

Goliath

yeah, i hope i got the one that can run 300+ fsb... but it doesn't seem to be the case. after a few run of 3dmark 2001se, the 2.4c is still slower than my 2.0a (400mhz fsb)

damn it....

3Dmark, is mainly just the video card, not the processors.
Try sandra benchmarks or go to Prime95 benchmarks, between the two.

stan03 said:
the 2.4C is slower on the exact same system?

yes, this freaking sl6z3 is slower on the exact same system.... but i did notice one thing though... i wasn't able to enable the PAT on the asus board once i hit over the 200+ fsb... i read this somewhere before and it's true. i am sure that have something to do... but can't be that much... maybe i shouldn't be too cheap and should just go get a 875p board

I don't know about the Asus, but the unauthorized PAT on the Abit 865s works at any fsb if you set the cpu strap to 800fsb.

If you neglect the effect of hyperthreading, the average 2.4c gets outperformed by the best of the 400 and 533fsb chips. I'm not wanting to abandon my 1.8a for a 2.4c unless its a proven 310fsb type example. An average one is at best a giant step sideways. Hyperthreading is nice under XP, but I vastly prefer 2k (where HT isn't so nice).

larva said:
I don't know about the Asus, but the unauthorized PAT on the Abit 865s works at any fsb if you set the cpu strap to 800fsb.

If you neglect the effect of hyperthreading, the average 2.4c gets outperformed by the best of the 400 and 533fsb chips. I'm not wanting to abandon my 1.8a for a 2.4c unless its a proven 310fsb type example. An average one is at best a giant step sideways. Hyperthreading is nice under XP, but I vastly prefer 2k (where HT isn't so nice).

larva;

thx for the great info, after all these trouble my [email protected] is still far faster this stupid 2.4c and all the problem w/ pat enable or disable...etc and unable to hit over 300fsb is just getting on my nerve....

Back