• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1700+ or 2800+...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

swick

Registered
Hey all,

I think i know the answer to this question, but I'll ask it anyway. I have 2 proc's, a 1700+ DLT3C JIUHB 0310WPMW and a 2800+ KV4D AQXEA 0321SPCW. Which one should I oc?

I'm not necessarily looking for the highest %oc. I want the best performance.

The rest of the system is as follows:

NF7-s r.2.0
sp-97 w/Tt SF2 (80mm Tornado sitting on the desk, too damn loud)
1g Corsair pc3200 TwinX XMS
Radeon 9600pro
74g WD Raptor

She's on air for now, not sure how much longer though.

The main difference is the cache, correct? Will it make enough of a difference to use the 2800+?

Your thoughts are apreciated.

I have a 2600kv4d, and had 17-1800 du and dlt3c of the 'b' type. I found that the 2600 has faster performance than the regular t-breds, at the same speeds. Maybe due to the larger cache, 512 on the barton. I would say the 2800.

Fine CPus.
2800+ Barton has double cache which means

2.3 GHz 1700+ = 2.2 GHz 2800+

DLT3C B (not A) has been known to hit very high overclocks at low voltages though. Remember, luck plays a part in OCing very much and CPU-wise, luck is the only thing left since you'd make a wise choice to go with either.

"Both" lol, thanks for that ;)

Hell, I've already got the 2800+ at 2316.
I just need to tweek the fsb some, only at 205 (6,2,2,2.0).

Will the 1700+ go higher than the 2800+? Or, enough higher that it performs better?

To be honest, I'll find all this out for myself eventually. I do plan to oc both. I was just wondering which one to put with all the good stuff (when I buy it....)

thanks guys

That's a nice overclock.

DLT3C B will hit as much as 2520 but only on all copper Thermalright comparable heatsinks, + major loud fan + powerful PSU.

Of course, only with luck.

You're looking at trying to hit maybe 2420 to equal your Barton overclock though and over 2.4 GHz overclocks are tough for average users with average equipment.

With your setup 215 x 11 should be a givin with either cpu. Might have to change the vddim or vdd or vcore on the way up tho. Alos make sure your rail's are in the good on your psu.

Hey, are you calling me average? I resemble that remark!

Anyway, the plan is to build a wc system to throw in the LL pc-75usb i'm going to buy soon (unless someone knows where to get a pc-73sl in the states). I do have a major loud fan, that I'm not using because it's a MAJOR loud fan (Tornado - believe the hype!), and a 530w Fortron. The thing I need, and lack the most, is experience. That's why I'm here.

Thanks man, I'm sure I'll have more questions for you to answer. If you feel so inclined, that is. ;)

You are the average of what we read everyday. Hope you get it overclocked where you want it. O and BTW

WELCOME to OUR FORUM"S

Don't be insecure man. On average means just that.

The thing is, yes there are 2.4 GHz overclocks and even some 2.5 GHz overclocks. People read that stuff and actually gun for it.

It's rare to see people acknowledging that those are above average (rare as things go) overclocks. 2.3 GHz overclock is a success simply because there are tons of 2.2 GHz overclocks.

I'm not being insecure. I guess my dry sense of humor doesn't exactly come across in text, eh? :D

Anyway, thanks for the input guys. Now I'm off to tweek some ram.

Back