• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What hardware do you reccomend?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vulcan

I am looking to build a new computer, I was very close to getting barton 2500 that was garunteed to OC well, however I saw that the 2.4C P4 was only like 20.00 more... SO im thinking that because I dont game all the much a p4 would be more fitting. How much of an overclock can I expect with out any outragous cooling? (would like to keep the computer somewhat quiet) Okay... so motherboard wise probably an Abit IC7.... I dont quite understand the ratios... maybe someone can explain that?

Thanks,
matt

You should be able to easily get 3.1 to 3.2 gig with stock cooling (maybe more if you don't have to raise the voltage up much and if you luck out and get a good CPU. Both the 2.4C and 2.6C will do close to the same overclock. The 2.4C is preferred for the hardcore because you can get insane FSB out of them, but the 2.6C is a good choice for a modest overclock if you are sort of new to Intel, because it's easier on RAM. The 2.6C can use fairly cheap PC3200 RAM. The memory ratios just allow the RAM to run at a different speed than the CPU to maximize your overclock. With PC3200 RAM using the 1:1 ratio at 200 FSB, that will give you DDR400 which is what it's rated at. When overclocked at 250 FSB, you can use the 5:4 ratio which runs the RAM at DDR400, so your RAM is still in spec.

So your saying that the 2.6c runs best with pc3200 then? Or would pc4000 be better?

The ol' 1;1 ratio with loose timings or 5:4 ratio with tight timings debate. It's pretty close to a toss up. Get the PC3200 if you can still find it with BH-5 chips. The PC4000 will cost more for the good stuff. Your choice.

Theres alot of BH-5 ram around still... Many companies bought up huge amounts of chips before production stopped...

The cooling you've picked out will be able to take your system all kinds of places. Just keep in mind, even with that Panflo which is usually pretty quiet, it still might be kinda loud =). Of course, noise level all comes down to personal preference, but it's something to consider. Good luck with your rig!

Goliath

Back