• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How would I accomplish this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

firestorm225

Registered
Ok, currently I have a Seagate 80gb hard drive with Windoes XP and everything installed. I just bought a Western Digital 120gb hard drive, and I now want to make the 120gb the master and the 80gb the slave. I also want to format Windows XP off the 80gb and install it on the 120gb instead because it's a better drive, has 8mb cache, etc. Anyway, I have a few files on the 80gb I'd like to move over to the 120gb as well. What's the easiest way to do that?

I guess my options are:

1) Plug in the 120gb, copy over all the files to it, and then format the 80gb and install Windows on the 120gb. Or would installing Windows on the 120gb wipe all the files I put there beforehand?

2) Install another installation of Windows on to the 120gb. Copy over the files from the 80gb to the 120gb, and then format the the 80gb. I guess that would work, only problem is would there be any conflicts with having two Windows installations?

Or am I missing something really easy altogether?

Also, I would like those large files to eventually end up on the 80gb kind of like a storage drive, but I just have no exact idea on how basically delete Windows on one drive, install on the other, but still keep my files intact.

I would do one of two things.
1) Create a backup file of the entire contents of the 80gig and put it on the 120. Then format the 80 and install on the 120. after the install is complete, restore using the backup.
2) just copy the files you want to keep to the 120gig and install.

Ok, number 2 shold work the best.

First, remove the 80 and insert the 120. Format your 120Gb drive, and make a partition for windows XP, and a partition with the remaining space. (My windows XP partition is 5Gb, should be more than enough). Having XP on its own partition will make it easier to scrwew around with the OS in the future.

There should not be any problem having 2 installs at the same time.

Or you could spend a small amount of $$ and use a program like Norton ghost. This will make an exact duplicate of the 80 gig drive onto the 120. It should allow the entire 120 to be used as a single partition but if not, you could either make a seperate 40 gig partition or use partition magic to expand it out to the full 120.

Back