• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is the deal with the super high ram speeds?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ciffer

i have been looking for new memory, my motherboard supports ram speeds up to pc3200, will a higher ram speed help my overclocking any or is it just a label?

there are 2 schools of memory overclockers. the first are the guys that adhere to the tight timings 5/4 ratio mantra. then there is the second who wanna run real fast memory at 1-1, generally with loose timings.

i don't really know a lot about memory overclocking, will the higher speed rated sticks overclock better and what is will all the different timing options

you got 2 choices , get some good pc3200 and run your fsb memory ratio 5/4 with tight timings (lower latency for ex. 275 fsb=225 memory speed that will give good bandwidth with 222-5 timings. or find some hot pc4000/4400 with loose trimings that will run with the fsb1-1. for ex: 280 fsb=280 memory speed with loose timings(3-4-4-8) if u ask someone who runs 5/4 they say its the best. likewise the 1-1 guys say its the best. i did a comparison for a guy a while back at 250 fsb 5/4 at 2-3-3-5 and again at 250 fsb at 1-1. both gave ample memory bandwidth, but i got better scores running 1-1

i personaly like crucial, i have 2 sticks of 3200- 256
runin 1-1 224 fsb at 7-2-2-2.5 runs fine
and i'm a nood to over clocking

yeah at this point im going for raw bandwith, thats why pc 3700 (i belive) or above is whant i get now for systems that im going to overclock with INTEL, where wiht AMD i got for better timimngs.

I am a believer in 1:1 ratio too, and with tight timing. I think running async is not a good idea. This is just me OK, some people will come and argue with me for sure.

hario said:
I am a believer in 1:1 ratio too, and with tight timing. I think running async is not a good idea. This is just me OK, some people will come and argue with me for sure.

Yeh async is a NO-NO for Amd rigs..The bandwidth drops down way too much..Async is a no no like running the cas as 3. Neither you should do in amd..:)

Ciffer said:
what are the different latancy timings and what should i know about adjusting them?

Well timings vary. I recommend running tight timings, with lower fsb. Tight timings are like 2/2/2/5 OR 2/3/3/5. Loose timings would be like 2.5 as the first number. Really don't need to know a whole lot, just play with it, and use what gives the most bandwidth according to sandra. The more bandwidth the better. In my oppinion that is the whole goal of overclocking. Like running a high fsb with loose timings is stupid, because you could be running at stock ram speed, and tight timings, and probably get better sandra benchmarks.

Sisoftsadra will be a very good program you really need to download. JUst use what timings give you the most bandwidth. And I highly recommend AGAINST using a CAS of 3.:)

Ciffer said:
k, thanks, i'll need to play around with my speeds more then

Yep just remember, tighter timings and lower fsb is usually better than higher fsb with loose timings. All this is from my experience atleast.:)

ar47bl13 said:

Yep just remember, tighter timings and lower fsb is usually better than higher fsb with loose timings. All this is from my experience atleast.:)

Same experience here, unless you can get "MUCH" higher FSB with those loose timings.

Back