• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

weird oc'ing occurence

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

potatobbq

I have P4 2.26 that I've been running at default settings for the past year but I recently decided to buy a Zalman CNPS7000 and oc'ed it to 2.72 (17x160) @ 1.625v w/ Corsair PC3200 running at 400 MHz on an Asus P4B533-V board. It's been running great for the past couple of days, but yesterday after I applied some Windows security patches and rebooted, it would refuse to start Windows XP (freeze on the black loading screen right after the XP logo w/ the progress bar appears) until I clocked back down to 2.26. After I was able to boot into XP @ 2.26, I tried to reboot and oc back to 2.72 but it froze again. I turned off my machine for a few minutes and the oc'ed back to 2.72 again and it works fine again. What's surprising is I've been running Prime95 for 7 hours or so with no errors and the system seems stable enough, but I can't think of an explanation of the Windows hung on that one incident. Is this a symptom of SNDS? Input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Not sure... especially since it's running Prime for hours stable at that o/c.... That's a toughie. What kinda Prime torture test are you running? Blend, Max Heat, Custom?

Dunno if some standard double-checks might help you:

Is that Zalman keeping things cool (it should do a great job if it's seated well)? What are your CPU and ambient temps at idle and load?

What kinda PSU, how about your rails?

Does your memory pass memtest?

Goliath

I would say welcome to the forums but it seems that you joined almost 3 years ago......

but anyways form working on computers I learned to stop predicting them becuase it will only give you a headache. What happend to you could have been alot of things one could be that windows probably analyzed your hardware wrong and hung up, Or you OC was not stable, or maybe your BIOS had a setting that windows did not like.

It could not be SNDS because unless you Mobo overvolts then 1.625 will not kill it.

Mr. $T$ said:
I would say welcome to the forums but it seems that you joined almost 3 years ago......

but anyways form working on computers I learned to stop predicting them becuase it will only give you a headache. What happend to you could have been alot of things one could be that windows probably analyzed your hardware wrong and hung up, Or you OC was not stable, or maybe your BIOS had a setting that windows did not like.

It could not be SNDS because unless you Mobo overvolts then 1.625 will not kill it.

hehe... i think i registered back when i was still in college several years ago when i was oc'ing my celeron 300a to 450 MHz, but i haven't been too active since then.

i was running the max heat torture test w/ prime95 and the temps were maxing out at around 55C at full load w/ the zalman heatsink and my psu is an enermax 350w. i haven't run memtest since i figured i was running my memory in spec and i was going to try that next, but i think i've actually narrowed down the problem to a bios update, which was supposed to provide better ddr333 support. it seemed like a fairly small update so i went ahead and installed and i think this was when my problems started (tho i didn't reboot for nearly two days so i didn't notice the problem immediately). i've since gone back to the older bios i was running and it seems to have fixed the intermittent windows boot up problems. i've also been able to drop my voltage down to 1.575v @ 17x160MHz... at the lower voltage, my temps are also lower at full load. the revision description of the bios seemed very minor, but apparently it had a profound effect on my system. anyways, thanks everyone for the input.

Yipes, 55C is getting up there in temps, especially with a Zalman on there... are you sure it's seated properly on the CPU?

G

Back