• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maxtor, Western Digital or Seagate?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I will be using the MS XP OS, likely Home edition.

I was wondering in the 100-120Gig range, what drive is quiet and has 8Meg cache too 7,200rpms. IDE too.......no SATA for me at this point in time.

Viper, I have at least 1 hard drive by each of the manufacturers you've listed. Seagate drives are my favorites in the 7200rpm IDE category.

From a practical standpoint there is very little difference between the Seagate Cuda and Western Digital Special Edition drives. You may find that the Seagates are a tad quieter but run a little hotter than Western Didital. They should both deliver similar performance and carry similar warranties.

I am not the biggest fan of Maxtor drives. I have experienced several failures of relatively young Maxtor drives and that perhaps has tainted my opinion. Admittedly, that was a few years ago, and I suspect that they've improved from a quality and reliability standpoint. I have never experienced a failure (yet) of my Seagate nor Western Digital drives.

Hope this info helps.

:)

^^ dido -= maxtors have failed - have NUMEROUS WD in use - some foralmost 3 years straight and not one failure yet!

Ok I will go w/ WD just from the heat standpoint. I do have a Quantum/Maxtor tht I bought about a year ago, and it's been ultra quiet and good..I have had two or 3 IBM ??star's all failed w/in about a year, completely needed a new drive..I think there was a bad batch as it was the same problem.

I have never owned Seagate, but see such sites as Storage.com adn other people rave about them. Just wanted an opinion as I haven't bought one in a while.

Maxtor, Seagate or Western Digital. It's all a matter of preference. What matters is price, warranty and utilities for the drives.

I understand people who choose one company over another, because of a drive failer. However, it's a luck of a draw. They are very much the same !!!

Although its a lot of luck and other things, i myself have had bad experiences with maxtor hard drives. My favorite is seagate because in my experience, they are quiet and stable. Western Digital is also good, but I have had a few of them fail.

to shed some light on maxtor from these replies, all my hd's are maxtor and i've never had a failure from a maxtor product. out of the 3 you listed, i would go with either seagate or maxtor, the few wd's ive put in on other peoples computers have made weird noises and one of them has failed, just my exp

what if I want SATA who would you go with?

My friend thinks I should go with SATA 80-120Gig drive. He's getting a Seagate SATA 80Gig for $100 dollars. I understand that it may be a good idea to get a SATA drive as it seems to be the new standard at in the near future. With that said, if I was going with a SATA drive...

what would people recommend???? Someone else mentioned an important point that I had forgotten, that the amount of utilities and such was a consideration for them when they buy the drive. I have looked at Newegg..most of them are all OEM.

Well what do you guys thinks??:(

Re: what if I want SATA who would you go with?

Viper69 said:
My friend thinks I should go with SATA 80-120Gig drive. He's getting a Seagate SATA 80Gig for $100 dollars. I understand that it may be a good idea to get a SATA drive as it seems to be the new standard at in the near future. With that said, if I was going with a SATA drive...

what would people recommend???? Someone else mentioned an important point that I had forgotten, that the amount of utilities and such was a consideration for them when they buy the drive. I have looked at Newegg..most of them are all OEM.

Well what do you guys thinks??:(
Without being as long-winded as my prior post here's my preference as far as SATA is concerned:

7200rpm: Seagate
10000rpm: Only choice is WD, I'd opt for the 74GB drive per info contained in this discussion. The 74GB Raptor is pricey, but well worth it imho. And you can't beat the 5 year warranty. :)

Keep us posted on your final decision.

I like maxtor, i've had great luck with them. I've had numerous WD deskstar (deathstars) die on me. I just bought a WD 160 gig and i do like it, but the only reason i got it was the price.

I was in the same predicament too. failures are more a personal opinion, as they can always happen with harddisks, it's just what they do sometimes!!

After doing a bit of research i decided on PATA MAxtor *mb cache 7200RPM, they are ATA133 so they are close to the 150 that SATA is. I use PATA-to_SATA adapters on it, and in benchmarks i am doing the same if not a bit better than the straight SATA drives, but with the price difference nowadays...... I have the money, but it was 80Gb sata or 120Gb ATA for the same price..

Back