• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Damn Viruses! Advise needed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BinarySuperman

Damn Viruses! Advice needed.

Hey guys, I'm in need of some help. I had a virus like a week ago, some kind of w32.worm. I got rid of it with Norton AV. But now my comp is messed up. I can't type a web address with ctrl+enter anymore. It just goes straight to Lycos search. I keep getting these search bar folders appearing in my start menu. I'm going to format my comp for the millionth time today. I want to know what to get to prevent my computer from getting viruses and I want to keep my comp safe from intruders. Please recommend some fire walls and other things I need. Thanks

Last edited:
I can't type a web address with ctrl+enter anymore.

I thought I was the only one that did that. :p

I use ZoneAlarm on my sister's comp, it's easy to use. If something is trying to get in or out, it'll give you a "yes/no" question about access. Might be good to see if someone keeps attacking you specifically.

But Lycos search... hmm... scanned for scumware lately?

Find spybot and adaware via google, run each. You've also been invaded by adware/spyware (in addition to the virus).

Be careful what you download ;)

thanks guys, these search bars keep coming up each time I launch internet explorer, and I think someone has control of my comp, so im gonna unplug and format.

man I just ran ad-aware and wow 410 files were found, I got all those suckers removed and now I can use the crtl+enter feature. God bless overclockers.com, I dont think I will format just yet. Im gonna get Zone Alarm and see how things go. Thanks again!

thats probably from looking at naked girls or boys.
you can get rid of it with adaware but the real solution is to stop looking at that and start freeing yourself from being a slave.

naked boys? I preffer the girls :)

nah but once this window came up and I accidently clicked on "YES" and thats when all this started.

i have zone alarm. it works, but it ****es me the hell off. it does some of the wierdest things. like right now its not letting my browser display half the images. any idea y?

Go to http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ and d/l that program. It is about 700k and will get rid of the 39 most out their virii that people have. Most of my customers had Norton up to date and still got Nachi. So give that a try and usually it will catch everything Norton can't, and always get your computer updated from Micro$oft.

Back