• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

200FSB with T-bird 1.2Ghz problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hario

Hi

It seems that I can't get this T-bird 1.2Ghz to run stably at 200FSB. I can run it at most at 192FSB. At 200FSB, Prime95 will crash in like 6-10 minutes, and at 195FSB, it crashed in about 2 hours. At 192FSB, no crash.

I know my RAM is not the problem because I Memtest the RAM at DDR400 without any errors. So, did anybody else have the same problem? or anybody ever able to run this old chip at 200FSB stably?

My mobo is Abit NF7-M by the way, and using Buffalo PC3700 BH-5

Thank you

That might just be the CPU's limit. If better cooling and more voltage doesn't help, I think that is as high as it goes. I don't know of anyone overclocking a T-bird so I couldn't tell you what they have reached.

Cpu wont have a limit on FSB - it maybe the chipset on your Abit board holding you back, either that or more likely a temperature or voltage related problem.

Have you tried running it at default speed, or even underclocked, at 200 FSB? This should help you determine if it is the CPU or the rest of the system that is holding you back.

I tried the processor on its stock speed, and I still can't run it at 200FSB.

Here's what I tried already, and I'm getting even more confused everyday because of these results:

200FSB, DDR333, 1.2Ghz: Prime95 stable, Memtest passed
166FSB, DDR400, 1.2Ghz: Prime95 stable, Memtest passed
190FSB, DDR380, 1.14Ghz: Prime95 stable, Memtest passed
but,
200FSB, DDR400, 1.2Ghz: Prime95 failed, Memtest passed

So, what do you think? And, about the CPU temp, it is running at around 42C full load. I used SLK-900A with 80cm Enermax adjustable. Can my stupid generic 250Watt PSU contribute to the instability too? Thanks all.

ZachM said:
That might just be the CPU's limit. If better cooling and more voltage doesn't help, I think that is as high as it goes. I don't know of anyone overclocking a T-bird so I couldn't tell you what they have reached.

ZachM, do you use NF7 ver 1.2 or 2.0? because mine literally is the same as NF7 ver 1.2. If you can run that high, I think I should be able too. Thanks.

ye PSU may be the problem,

Also what is your vcore? you chipset could be the problem too.

I would get a better PSU such as 300w fortron from newegg

OC Detective said:
What are your voltage rails? The 250watter you have may well be the issue.

250watter I dont thin will run any board @ 200fsb unless you use a 5x muilt or unless it's a sparkle or forton.

bchur83 said:
Are you talking 100fsb which = 200DDR or 200fsb which = 400DDR? I don't think that a T-Bird can handle 200fsb.

I am talking 200FSB=400DDR here. That's what I think so too, but like others had said that CPU do not have FSB limitation. But, who knows.........

OC Detective said:
What are your voltage rails? The 250watter you have may well be the issue.

Yes, I suspect that too, my PSU rails are pretty weak, especially the +12

Here's my PSU rails:

+5 at 4.92
+12 at 11.44
-12 at -12.19
-5 at -5.04

my Vcore is stably at 1.78 when the setting on my mobo is 1.75V, more Vcore did not stabilize the CPU at all by the way.

One question, what's Vio by the way? what's the default voltage, because mine is hovering at around minimum value at 3.14V

3.3.gif

Example

Look @ the 3.3

hario said:
Ah, Fortron 530W, how do you like it? Because I'm thinking of getting that one.

If your going with a top PSU like that, either Fortron or Antec are the one to go with :) I hear the Fortron one is very quite (although my Antec 550w is also). Though I must say, the black Molex on my PSU, and the pre-wrapped ATX cable on the Antec was very nice and saved me some time from doing it myself :)

My only gripe with the Antec (that totaly slipped my mind at first) is that it comes with 2 SATA power plugs in place of 2 molex, so my Live! Drive (when I had my SB Live! Platinum) and my fan controller (didnt need it really anymore because of the Fan Only power plugs that quiet em down) went unpowered.

Evnas, thanks a lot for your input on the PSU.

And, I have another question for you, about your Buffalo BH-5, how fast FSB wise can you run? what voltage and timing? Because I have the same RAM. Thank you.

Back