• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tell me if this is possible

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dorimon81

I have an internal CD-ROM drive and I want to connect it to my old laptop using the parallel port. I need to make a converter from the IDE ribbon cable to the parallel port. I just want to know if it's possible and if it is, where I can get instructions on how to do this.

Thanks

Did a quick google for it and couldn't find anything... I didn't look to hard though.

Closest I came:
ide to parallel

I believe it's next to impossible to make a converter cable for parallel to ide without some sort of electronic circuits.

The easiest way is to get an old external parallel port CD or CDRW and change out the drive. You could get a USB enclosure for the drive also, provided it has USB connections. To build either yourself, you need to design a controller and that's usually bad news, since they do not use the same signalling protocols.

Buying a USB case is inexpensive and they can be purchased for under 40.00 online. If you really need parallel, then there are new enclosures here:

http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?src=PW&item=8683

or you could try ebay for a used or perhaps new one, if you get lucky.

Well, if I'm going to go the route of buying an IDE cable to notebook IDE cable, I'm just going to buy an internal CD-ROM drive. Does anybody know where I can get them from for pretty cheap?

from an old laptop probably, try posting in the that section where you can buy and sell stuff. i know for a fact that they are kinda expensive, so try going for a used one

Back