• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

File Transfer Problem, Cant Connect 2 HD on sys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mugzy0130

Registered
I upgraded one of my computer which was a P3 533, to a Amd 2600 A7N8X, I tried to install the 20gig WD hard drive on to my new comp from my old comp, but it would not boot correctly. I installed xp on to a new 180gb WD harddrive and it boots perfectly but when I try to have both drives connected to the new comp it doesnt boot.

both drives are Western Digital, I double checked to make sure that one was a slave and the other the master

does anyone know what I can do, the only reason I want the 20gig to boot is so I can transfer my files over.

Another question, can I transfer the programs I have on the 20gig to the 180gig, if so how? (assuming I could figure out how to have both drives connected without any problems)

TIA

#1 I would trying putting the drives on Seperate IDE Cables (Leave you CD-ROM Out). Leave the 180GB on Master and Try putting the 20GB on Cable Select (CS). I hope it works.

#2 As far as transfering INSTALLED PROGRAMS over to the new drive, I would suggest against it. Re-Install what you can.

I have noticed that if you have 2 drives, and the master is a WD, then you don't use any jumpers. The label says to use a jumper in the MA position with 2 drives, but in my experience, you don't use a jumper in the master if there is a slave.

usually jumpering it to master with slave present causes problems so if you have a jumper on that take it out and see what happens.

Well I always put it on Cable Select to get it to work. I have had the problem with WD drives a few times. Thanks for another way around the problem;)

Kendan said:
Well I always put it on Cable Select to get it to work. I have had the problem with WD drives a few times. Thanks for another way around the problem;)

I have never had a WD drive work with with no jumper in a dual drive config. So it is not a perfect solution. WD didn't put the jumper instructions on there to fool people.

Kendan said:

I followed Kendan's advice on this for my WD 80 Giger and it worked ;)

kct2 said:

I have never had a WD drive work with with no jumper in a dual drive config. So it is not a perfect solution. WD didn't put the jumper instructions on there to fool people.

i meant no jumper for the master drive and a jumper on the slave. jumpering it to master with slave present while having a secondary slave drive usually causes problems. with older ide cables they dont exactly tell you which end of the connector is master/slave so jumpering it to master/slave is usually better than cable select.

Jay8oP said:

i meant no jumper for the master drive and a jumper on the slave. jumpering it to master with slave present while having a secondary slave drive usually causes problems. with older ide cables they dont exactly tell you which end of the connector is master/slave so jumpering it to master/slave is usually better than cable select.

I know what you meant, but I stand by my statement. The jumper config marked on the drive has ALWAYS worked for me, but if another config works for you or others, I'm not going to argue about it. :)

Older IDE cables (40conductor) did not natively support cable select, you had to get special cables. All 80-conductor cables support cable select.

WD didn't put the jumper instructions on there to fool people.

You could have fooled me.:D

I love WD and MAXTOR. Nothing else is reliable enough to hold my DATAs. "KNOCK KNOCK" In almost 13 years of using PC's...Knock on wood I've never had a drive fail.

Back