• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it time (upgrade)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

done1

Just wanted to get other peoples opinions, and I just picked up a new Nvidia 5700 Ultra.

Current System:
P4 1.8 -> Overclocked to 2.2
512mb Ram
New Nvidia 5700 Ultra
DVD-RW blah blah and more blah in the system :)

Anyway, should I just bump to 1Gig of ram and hold off till summer to go with a new set up. Or pick up the 2.6 800FSB with an Abit or Asus Mobo?

Thanks for the help

Is there any real pressing reason to upgrade just now? Is there anything your PC cannot handle? If not, then i would hold off for now. A P4 at 2.2GHz with 512MB RAM should handle most things you can throw at it just now.

As I usually tend to do, wait and see what comes along with the next lot of CPUs - if they rock, go get a new CPU then. If not, then they should hopefully push the price of older CPUs down a bit for you.

True, the main reason would have been for games, but I think if I bump to 1Gig of Ram my system will handle every game on the market just fine right?

done1 said:
True, the main reason would have been for games, but I think if I bump to 1Gig of Ram my system will handle every game on the market just fine right?

To be honest, 512MB RAM should handle just about everything, but 512MB exta RAM cant really hurt. A CPU upgrade is rather more major.

What type of RAM are you running? If you plan on switching to a P4C at some point and you are running PC2100/PC2700 just now it might be worth getting PC3200 now (for the extra 512MB) so that when you move over to a P4C you dont need to replace all your RAM.

its possiable to run dif mhz of ram? if I can then your right I should get the faster ram then, and need to buy 1 stick later for the dual ram configs then.

Ok just crammed my melon in my case and I am running 2 2100 256mb sticks, think I should add a 3k one?

done1 said:
Ok just crammed my melon in my case and I am running 2 2100 256mb sticks, think I should add a 3k one?

If you buy a PC2100 stick then when you move over to a faster CPU/board you will probably need new RAM. If you were to get a third stick you could probably get PC3200, which would run at 266 in your PC, but would be capable of running at 400 in a different board.

What's the rush, wait for about a month with the comming of the Prescott's, even if they turn out to be a major disapointment prices for the "C"s will definetly drop.

WildMonkey said:
What's the rush, wait for about a month with the comming of the Prescott's, even if they turn out to be a major disapointment prices for the "C"s will definetly drop.

They say that Prescotts will be priced evenly to the C's. But still, wait for the 3.4GHz and the other should lower a little. Wait 6 months, and the Tejas/Prescott LGA will be out.

Maybe waiting woul dbe the best since HL2 and Doom3 are still behind schedule.... So far all the games I have plus the new Vid should power through everything fine. Maybe the new stuff will be out once they finish those two games.

But HT sounds so fun, is Hyper Threading just hype also?

Back