• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To mod or not to mod...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crimedog

Taking out of consideration the warranty voiding and the chance of killing the card, do you guys think it would be worth my time performing a vgpu and vdd mod to my 9800pro? I already have all the parts.
A worthwhile jump imo is 20+ mhz gpu, 10+ mhz ram (already pretty good on the memory).
I have a maze4 gpu block and no way of monitoring temps (i figure they have to be pretty good though). I also have ocz copper sinks on the ram.
Well, what do you think?

Well I have seen people getting close or over 400mhz for the ram and something like 520 on the core with the volt mods.....So I think it would be worth it.

I say dont do it until your card cant cope with the games. Maybe a few years down the track. It's gonna have minimal impact on real life performance and you're only gonna get a bench out of it. IMO, it's not worth it.

For some reason I was thinking that memory mods usually end up in a very shortened life-span.

Am I incorrect or is this just like another one of the "overclocking with DESTROY your computer" types of deals.

Increased Voltage over specs shortens the life of any electronic component. eg. CPU + Ram + GPU + VRam no matter what cooling, it still shortens the life.

True to a degree, but if it is cooled properly it is not imo a significant problem with resonable overvolts.

Heat is the real hardware killer that needs to be addressed in this situation. I have run overvolted hardware, for close to 1 1/2 years in one case, without any problems. Cooling is the key.

There is no answer we can give you crimedog, it is really up to you. But imo, it is not a good idea if you are only gaming. Now if you want to max your card for say benchmarking and don't mind the extra risk, then by all means.....mod that sucker:D

Back