• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me decide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ColtIce

Disabled
ok here's the situation i get to make a couple of upgrades to finish off the rig in my sig.i've narrowed it down to two paths but am unsure what which one to take. path #1:fortron 530 + 9700pro or path #2:fortron 350 + 9800pro.my rig is typical i.e. 2 cdroms,2 hdds,4 case fans.i will order parts by 1/21/04 from newegg so please tell me which path will suit me better.this is probally my last socket a system and i won't upgrade this machine again and the next one will be from the ground up so nothing needs to carry over to the next rig.

The difference between 9700 pro and 9800 pro and so slim. Its the same technology, 9800 pro is not worth it.

If i had to make the decision, i would probably get the fortron 350 and the 9800 pro. The 350 should be able to handle your system, and the 9800 pro is better than the 9700.

Go 9700 pro.
the decition is up to you, if depends whetever you want an extreme video card and a PSU that will be about enougth to power it. or a good video card and a powerfull PSU to power that and other components up.

Last edited:
ok i guess the real question is will the 350 limit me?heres my list of componets:xp 2500,ttsf2,2 cdroms,2 hdds,sound card,4 case fans,vga card,2 sticks ram.if it can handle that plus overclocks on cpu&vga i'll get the 9800.

that would be kinda hard to preddict. It might, as well as it might not. Try posting in the PSU section, i think Larva or some other moderator would know the answer. Keep im mind this, the psu is going to last more than the video card. new video cards are going to be released, and they r going to be power hungry. i havent test the 9700 pro nor the 9800pro so i cant really tell if they are really worth it. But go for the9700pro, and ample PSU

My guess is that the Fortron 350w PSU will give you plenty of juice to power all that + oc's. Keep in mind, that a software oc on your gpu won't increase your voltage needed to run the card @ oc'ed speeds (unless you're planning on volt-modding). The Fortron PSU's are usually underrated. They've got the same power ratings as some 400w PSU's.

I'd post this in the PSU section too. Larva knows all concerning PSU's. I'm sure you'll get a more than adequate answer there. ;)

Back