• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to cut holes on case for fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doc6886

I have a tower and it only has one fan... it's an exhaustion fan I think because I put my hand on the outside of it on the back of the case and feel hot air coming out. I was wondering, how would I cut holes into my case (it's a VERY hard plastic, with some steel/aluminum) like on the top or on the sides to insert more fans. What tool would I use?

Also, once I cut the hole, how do you hook up the fan to a power supply so that it would start blowing whenever your PC is on. And if I was going to add fans what should they be? Should I add intake fans or exhaust fans, and where on the case?

Where do you get hole saws (what website) and what sizes should I get for a 80 MM fan, 120 MM fan, ect.?

doc6886 said:
Where do you get hole saws (what website) and what sizes should I get for a 80 MM fan, 120 MM fan, ect.?

Well I would start buy using a 80mm for the 80mm hole and a 120mm hole saw for the 120mm hole :) Look at your local hardware stores for them.

doc6886 said:

Lol. You might get through the metal with a hole saw using your hands in a few weeks of constant spinning. To operate a hole saw you need a decent power drill. One with a decent amount of torque and a 1/2 inch chuck is ideal. If you don't have a good drill find a friend or neighbor that does and see if you can borrow it. There is no reason to spend $60+ on a drill that you'll only use a couple of times. You can get hole saws at a local hardware store. Get the bi-metal or metal hole saw because the wood ones won't work on a metal case.

I feel dumb :(

So you (ZachM) suggest I use a hole saw as opposed to tin snips? If I were to use tin snips, how would you get the hole started... you can't really stab through the metal and get it started like you could on a sheet of paper. Can you explain the operation of tin snips like you did for the hole saw?

Well, my apoligy. I have not covered the hole cut procedure entirely,Here we GO.First take the fan and place it where you want to make the hole.Trace the inside of the fans frame to the material to be cut.Then drill a hole well inside the line for your start point.The TIN SNIPS used are green handle,
right cut aviation tin snips, $ 15 at your local hardware store.
A 3/8" start hole is fine.Cut along your line you traced in a clockwise direction.(right hand).Remember the bag tip,I gave you!
I would advise you practice on some sheet metal 1st.Do not close the snips all the way until you finish the cut.This will reduce the little sharp jaggies.If need be you can file the edges smooth.
This should about cover the procedure that I use in cutting resticters out of your case and PSU.I also use this method to cut blow holes in sheet metal. THE FANMAN:cool:

One tip I will give is to tape a plastic bag to the inside of the case below the proposed hole to catch the minimal bit of metal.When you use tin snips you dont have the debris that drills and dremels produce

just a lil' tip for you guys when drilling into steel i place a ring magnet i found in a piano many years ago over the drill mark and all the little peices of metal sweep right to the ring.i sometimes convert and refinish old(even 110 yr.old) pianos to as new cabinets with modern roland digital electronics and this lil' ring magnet has saved my butt many times when i needed to drill a hole without a complete teardown.i can't tell you where to get one but if you find one,keep it.it is like a ring,about 3/4" outside dia. to 5/8" inside dia.

Cool idea MATT.I have a few of those.There a little bigger than yours.They come out of General Motors transmission pans.It catches slag on break-in. THE FANMAN:cool:

i don't know but suspect the small one i have may have came from one of those magnetic bulletin boards or perhaps a calender but it is cool to have bigger could be better arch depending on how strong the magnetic draw is but when i can i slap a piece of masking tape behind where i will drill and sometimes have found some specks of metal there.when drilling in my case i use a telescoping magnet attached to a handle like a screwdriver and sweep arond the area i drilled just in case something got by.

MooMasster716 said:
You should buy a dremel. I used it to cut holes in my case and it realley comes in handy every now and then. Great tool.
WTF is a dremel?

I use a nibling tool to cut holes in thin metal (computer cases). Radio shack sells them for $10 (p/n 64-823), they can be found other places also.

It's slow but precise. After cutting an 80mm hole for a side duct, I spent less than a minute with a round file cleaning up sharp edges around the hole. It looks good and is a cheap way to do it. Fair warning: it's a manual metal cutting tool and requires some work and practice to be good.

Back