• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Telnet server to execute remote ASCII program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ookabooka

OK, here is what i want to do. I have a client, and a server. On the server i want to run a program that will act like telnet, and when someone connects, it executes a program and static paramaters/switches, then whatever the output from that program is, it will be displayed to the client, and whatever the client inputs it will be input into the program asif someone was typing it in there. So basically the client runs "telnet server" and it is the exact same as running the program itself. Since only ascii is exchanged, this shouldnt be too hard to do.

Note: it is not important that the characters be sent before the carrage return, sending the string of characters to be executed on carrage return would be fine.

It seems to me like there should be some program on the internet that can do this, but I havent found any yet.

Server=windows
client=linux

The program on the internet that you are seeking is called telnet.

Seriously, why not just throw a telnet server onto the Windows box? It adds just one extra step when you want to use this custom program, but telnet is out there now - no hunting for something else.

If you don't want to use a telnet server though, you could try netcat.

because i want to be able to execute the program in a single command, it is actually going to end up being called from another program. Ok, heres exactly what i wanna do. I want to run Xboard, and have it use an engine on my windows machine. All the moves and commands are transmitted with ASCII. I cannot execute xboard and have it run 2 commands to get an engine, it will only run one.

Back