• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800 Pro BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tacoman667

Can anyone point me to a website that has updated BIOS for my ATI 9800 Pro 128? I cant ever seem to find them, even at ATI.com. Is it really not needed to update theBIOS on video cards cause I know it can work wonders on a motherboard.

ok here ya go,

goto Rage3d. Go to the tweaking and overclocking section of the ATI forums. Then goto page 4(thats where the thread is for noe) And find the thread titled " Any advive on a 9800Pro OC?" And write the guy MJ. He will send you the bios in an email with and Auto flash utility. It works great and makes the flash Painless. The bios he will send is the one you are looking for.

Harry

No

Its the gigacube bios. Its dated 8/29/03. Alls you have to do is Give MJ your numbers on your ram and he will modify the bios for you. Or you can just Have him send the 2 he has with the flash program. He has a 4
398/358 bios on there and a 398/340 one. They improve the OC of the 2.8ns ram by quite a few Mhz. I just reflashed my bios back to the 398/358 bios from my original bios and The card is MUCH more stable than it was with an overclocking utility. Now i can get the core to 425 and up and memory up to 380. But im keeping the card at 398/358 for now. Its screaming in benches and in games for now.

Harry

The bios for the gigacube wont

work on Hynix ram Only for samsung. I think Its the RC-2A And AE-2A. I forget what the second is, Dont quote me on the AE one. But anyway, I couldnt clock over 398/ 350 with my old bios, After the flash I was at the 398/358 clocks and my 3dmark scores went up quite a bit. I can get 450 atleast on the core and 377 on memory since the flash without artifacts. I get some small artifacts when i run the bench for like 5 loops, but i figure thats heat related and im not going to push it till i gat my custom cooler im Thinking about buying from MJ.

Harry

Cool - thanks for the link man :)

Will this work with my Samsung 2.8 on my 9800 PRO 128 meg?

I can hit 434/371 artifact/snow free already with stock cooling, so is it neccessary to try out this BIOS at all?

Welp give it a try,

It wont hurt. If you ask MJ to send you everything, IE The 2 bios files and the program, You type in savebios at the A:/ prompt and it automatcally saves your original bios as original.bin. And you can Just flash back if the bios doesnt give you any increase. Just make sure you uninstall your drivers and unclock the card before you flash.

Harry

I have tried the 9800xt 128 bios and it works great for me. The only thing that is wierd is game 2 and game 3 of 3dMark03, I get strange black cage lines.

Other than that it was fine.

I decided to modify my stock bios to be 412/365 and reflashed. I am having no problems and my games a re much better.

Well, how do I know which RAM I have on the board? I know alot on motherboards and other peripherals, but video cards I am a total n00b. Thanks.

look at thr ram on the vid card

Give me make and all the numbere just the way they are on the chips. Then ill let ya know what they are.

Harry

I was thinking about flashing my 9800pro. But my hynix is already screaming along at 400Mhz, no articacts and w/ no ramsinks.

I can't wait til my tweakmonsters/120mm fan that will be blowing on them get here :)

Now all I need to do is figure out how to get the core above 420mhz.

Btw, which is better, having a higher core or memory?

Ill,,,,,

It all depemds. Its all trial and error. Try your card with lower memory and higher core and run benches. Run a game for a bit to heat her up. Then do the opposite.

Ive found on mine, the higher the memory the lower it performs. But if i rais the core its does better. Ive tried about 20 different settings.

Now for the ram, Taco, You have the samsung 2.83ns ram. Good for you. Its great ram.

Now, If you want a bios that will hard clock your ram and core, Plus it tightens up the ram timeings, Goto Rage3d and Post a message for MJ and give him your numbers, and he will send you the autoflash and 2 bios's set at different core and mem clocks. Alls you do is DL the file he sends you to a formatted floppy thats bootable(or a CD) Run a disc scan, and your golden.

At boot, you type at the A:\ saveoriginal, and it auto saves your bios so you can flash back. Then at the next A:\ you type flash398, and it will flash your bios to a 398/358 bios. He also includes another thats clocked higher.

Good luck,

Harry

I haven't put any HS on my RAM yet and the cooler is still the stock one. Will the new BIOS' make the card run hotter? I am going to put on some HS on the RAM but not sure what to use, all copper for sure tho because I have killer airflow in the case.

It will make the ram run a bit hotter,

Only because its going to be already overclocked. Any ram sinks will do, The thinner the fins the better as far as im concerned. Cut your own.

GL

Harry

Let me know if the new 128mb version bios work...... thanks in advance, people!!

Currently, I use ATIFLASH and RADEDIT to mod my VGA BIOS to 440/366 permanent.

In some occasion, flashing new bios could increase overclocking, or don't at all. You never know until you tested it.

Here some 9800 PRO VGPU and VMEM mod if you don't know:

9800P_vgpu.jpg

9800P_vmem.jpg

Back