• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heat sink mod question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That looks like it would work. I am not sure if your temps would remain the same. The old heatsink/fan does not say how much CFM it pushes. The larger fan (80mm) turns slower but pushes more air (generally speaking). Basically, it comes down to trial and error, unless someone with the same setup as you have can enlighten me...and you. I think your mod will work out.

rdrash said:
That looks like it would work. I am not sure if your temps would remain the same. The old heatsink/fan does not say how much CFM it pushes. The larger fan (80mm) turns slower but pushes more air (generally speaking). Basically, it comes down to trial and error, unless someone with the same setup as you have can enlighten me...and you. I think your mod will work out.

do you think that fan is enough? or should i get one that pushes more? im trying to eliminate noise while either getting about the same temps or better ones.

Interesting question. I don't want to lead you astray, I believe that the greater the CFM the greater the noise. An 80mm fan should be fine (by that I mean average air flow and average noise). Check the maufacturers web sites to compare fan CFM and decible levels.....only you can decide what is right for you. My fans are loud...

Check out this Panaflo fan. I think it would be a better choice even though it has a higher dba rating than the vantec stealth you are looking at. The dba ratings on the Panaflo’s are a little deceptive since they are generally quieter than normal because of the Hydro wave bearings.

The stock fan that came with it is only 15mm high. Just about any 25mm in height fan will be better since it produces more air pressure.

Sharkman said:
Check out this Panaflo fan. I think it would be a better choice even though it has a higher dba rating than the vantec stealth you are looking at. The dba ratings on the Panaflo’s are a little deceptive since they are generally quieter than normal because of the Hydro wave bearings.

The stock fan that came with it is only 15mm high. Just about any 25mm in height fan will be better since it produces more air pressure.

what would you guess the actual dba rating is on it?

dbcalo said:
what would you guess the actual dba rating is on it?

With the Panaflo's its really not about the rating its the way it sounds. I have 1 of these Panaflo's in the front of my case. I had two but moved the second one to the HS until my U1A comes. Even with both up front I could still hear the HDD accessing files. With only one up front I bearly hear the fan at all.

Sharkman said:

With the Panaflo's its really not about the rating its the way it sounds. I have 1 of these Panaflo's in the front of my case. I had two but moved the second one to the HS until my U1A comes. Even with both up front I could still hear the HDD accessing files. With only one up front I bearly hear the fan at all.

i probably won't hear it i guess, since the hsf noise is cut in half by the akasa pax mate material i installed. when i finish the sound dampening job i probably won't be able to hear it at all!( i have to cut it and put it in the front)

Sharkman said:

if you have had any experience with the vantec stealth, is the panaflo about the same loudness as the stealth?

You could try Jab-Tech. I checked thier site and everything is the same price together. You might be able to save on shipping though.

Sharkman said:
You could try Jab-Tech. I checked thier site and everything is the same price together. You might be able to save on shipping though.

i should have added that $28 was with shipping and tax. also the panaflo says that it has bare wire leads and comes with a 3pin connector. does that mean i have to assemble the wiring my self or just snap in the 3pin connector?

Last edited:
The ones I bought from SVC also came with a seperate 3-pin connector. All I had to do was unplug the bare ended wires off the fan and plug the 3-pin in. I would suggest getting the 3-pin to 4-pin adapter becasue you don't want the fan plugging into your mobo. You would plug the adapter into the 3-pin connector. Sure it makes the wires long but with some creative wire management it will look ok ;) It might be alright to plug them directly into the mobo but its just safer to plug them into the PSU. Here are a couple examples (they are both under a dollar):

3-pin to 4-pin adapter

3-pin to 4-pin Adapter with separate RPM connector This is perfect for mobo rpm monitoring.

Sorry I didn't think of this before.

i just have to thank you guys for your help. this mod kicks ***! dropped my temps by 5 degrees and my ears love the silence. now all that i hear is the gentle woosh sound of air from the front fans. i also sound proofed just about anything that didn't restrict air flow...or moved. even the slats in the front of my case.

Back