• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blowholes in SLK-3700: is it worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i think the only worthwhile blowhole mod on the slk3700 would be to make a blowhole duct to blow air directly onto the cpu, that way, cold air is going straight to the cpu heatsink's fan and coolnig ur heatsink better

the way i did this is i just put a blowhole directly over the cpu's hs, just measure and so on...then cut

to make the air go directly to the cpu's hs, i gutted an old broken 80mm fan so all that was left was the outside hub, no more blades/bearings, then i screwed the fan to the gutted fan, and heres how it looks

duct.JPG

SLK 3700's with both 120m/m fans installed are pretty hard to beat...Larva makes a point that I never really considered until I bought a Antec Sonata...Controlling where the air comes in and where it exits...I personally would not bother with putting a "blow hole" fan in a SLK3700...I would cut the fan gaurd's out as they are rather restrictive unlike the Sonata's...Nice case with two fans...Excellent cooling...But hey if you have "mod" fever...The sky is the limit... ;)

I did a blowhole in mine and it allows me to not worry about exhaust as much since I now have 2 exhaust 120mm fans. Without the blowhole I relied on the 1 exhaust 120mm fan and the PSU fans. They all had to be on high rpm just to keep up with my 2 intake 120mm fans. Now that I have the blowhole fan I can run everything at a much lower rpm and maintain the same coolness as running the 1 exhaust with the PSU fans on high.

The load temps you see in my sig are while all the fans in the case are at 50% voltage. Its just a hair louder than lowest voltage. Had I used fewer fans I would deffinently need to work the fans harder just to maintain this coolness.

Back