• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to get to a command prompt?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandman001

Just Freeze It
Alright, I screwed my windows install, but I can't figure out how to get a DOS command prompt to fdisk.

How do you do it?

:rolleyes:

Which version of Windows do you have? With 9x you just press F8 when it says Starting Windows... With ME, you press F8 and then you enter some other combination (they removed the Command Prompt menu option, but left the keyboard shortcut, though I can't remember it off the top of my head). With NT/2K/XP/Server 2k3 you need to use a bootdisk. You can get them from www.bootdisk.com

Last edited:
XP does not use fdisk. When you boot from the XP CD, it allows you to paritition your hard drive. If you can get into Windows, you can delete and add paritions that are not active (aka are not where Windows is installed) via the Disk Management utility in Computer Management (Control Panel->Admin Tools->Computer Management)

Well, you see I get an error about some system thing when I boot off the CD, I wanna totally get rid of everything on the hard-drive, then boot off the CD. It works this way, but before when I formatted I just used the run command from windows.

Well, if you want to start over, get hard drive utilities to zero the drive. The correct utility can be found at the manufacturer's website (WD, Seagate, Maxtor, etc.) Zero the the drive with the program, when that finishes, boot off the XP CD. If it still gives that error, then its something other than the hard drive screwing it up.

How did you screw your windows install? What is the error that the cd gives you?

I'm not sure how a screwed install would give you errors when you boot off of the cd.

Most screwed XP installs can be fixed by doing a recovery install where only system files are replaced. To do that boot off the cd and hit enter to begin an install get passed licsense agreement then the cd should find your messed up install. Hit the R key to have it try to install over the previouse one.

If that doesn't work my guess is that you have a hardware problem.

Hmm, so it does not let you boot from cd. Ok, do you have windows 98 or ME? If so, use a boot disk, format your drive, and install windows 98 or ME on there, then when that runs, just run the windows xp cd through windows, and choose the clean install option, that should do I would think....

bert202 said:
How did you screw your windows install? What is the error that the cd gives you?

I'm not sure how a screwed install would give you errors when you boot off of the cd.

Most screwed XP installs can be fixed by doing a recovery install where only system files are replaced. To do that boot off the cd and hit enter to begin an install get passed licsense agreement then the cd should find your messed up install. Hit the R key to have it try to install over the previouse one.

If that doesn't work my guess is that you have a hardware problem.

when you hit the R key it tells you to type the location of the files to be recovered. What do you type there???

when you hit the R key it tells you to type the location of the files to be recovered. What do you type there???

I did a repair install yesterday and mine didn't ask that, it just went ahead and got started...:eek: Maybe a complete format and reinstall is best.

I screwed the install by not having aPCI lock, and pushing my hard-drive too far out of spec. It corrupted.

When I try to boot off the Cd it tells me the image of some Dll doesn't match what it's supposed to, and it has to restart.

BTw, I finally did what I should have done to start with.

Just stick in my windows 2K Cd, so it won't try to run Windows XP. Delete the partition and start over.

Yep, was running up around a 43PCI bus when it went.

these Nforce 3's need locks.

Back