• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

performance gain of faster ram (200FSB)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

germanjulian

currently i am using 166FSB with my mobo and cpu. barton 2800 at stock.
my ram only goes to 166FSB and not higher. I still have some spare cash I can use to get ram.
now the thing is
A: lets say I run my CPU at 200FSB and a lower multiplier to still have a 2800 barton
will my cpu temp still be the same? will it be just as stable or little less unstable? hotter?
cause I like my computer quite and dont want more air flow currently 40C idel and 48C load

B: how much performance gain is there running at 200FSB compared to 166FSB. especially in games (obviously)?
5% 10% or more?

C: as you can see my board etc can reach pretty much 220FSB with good ram. same questions as A

Your computer is pretty fast right now so you would notice little in normal windows. In games it maybe noticeable. The higher FSB will give you more access to Ram which is good for games. Why doesn't your ram run faster than 166? Most will at least get you up to 180 and i know a few guys that go up to 200. With your cooling solution a FSB increase like that with that motherboard shouldn't cause you to much heat trouble.

cause the ram is rubbish lol its 166Mhz rated ram and it wont go much higher without becomming unstable. i bought it ages ago one of teh first 166Mhz sticks available.

so the cpu wont be much hotter but i take it my cpu might need a bit more voltage to handel the increased FSB? even though it will be at the same speed (like 1992Mhz i think).

good good. what ram should i get which isnt to expensive cause crucial ram is $$$$$ and i do want 1GB dual channel

Back