• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU won't run at it's correct speed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caretaker96

Registered
Hi people (newby)
I recently changed my fan in my pc, On rebooting the pc all hell broke loose!!!
It would not boot up! as soon as it reached the xp opening screen it would just reboot again! I think that I had put too much thermal cream on the chip and a tiny amount went onto the board. And some might have got onto the edge of the chip! after trying to reboot about 5 times I went into the bios and set the fsb at 100mhz instead of the 133 and now it's working ok but It's only working as 1500. when it did reboot I then had to reinstall XP on a clean HDD. god knows what went wrong!

It's an AMD 2100+ the chip is running at about 50 to 60degrees is this too hot?
C96

Like you said, did you get too much thermal grease on it? Are you sure the fan/heatsink is on right?

Yes I did, but got 99% off again I am quite sure that the Heatsink is on ok. If there was some on the business side of the chip, could that be a problem? Do you think that the grease would conduct and be causing problems?
Thanks

I've found that at times if my computer hanged buring bootup into XP, it would corrupt some of XP's startup files. This was usually due to unstable CPU/Memory while overclocking. However, these hangs during bootup required reinstallations of XP (several for me I might add, so don't feel too bad).

What kind of HS/fan do you have? it may require more power than your system can provide. If your HS is on right you should have temps of about 15 - 25 C over the ambient room temp (assuming your case is well ventilated).

Thanks "M" at the moment it's running @ 48c the and I suppose the room temp is about 18/20 thats about 70 degrees in english money. what do you reckon about some of the thermal grease getting onto the chip could that be causing me problems?
thanks

Its probably not causing any problems. But I wouldnt leave it on there . I would reccomend you try to clean if off. My best guess to cleaning it would be using a q-tip and some rubbing alchol. Just make sure that you get any fibers the q-tip leaves behing and you remove as much excess liquid as you can and then let the procesor sit for a few hours. Better safe than sorry.

what heatsink are you using? judging by the temps im assuming the stock hs, or maybe you have a better one which isn't on properly. if it is the stock hs, did you remove the thermal pad on the hs before putting the thermal paste on? what thermal paste are you using? and how much thermal paste did you use? it should only be a paper thin layer.

Back