• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Silver Thermal Pastes - Buyer Beware!"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jon187

Registered
I just read this great article on the main overlcokers.com site. Here is the LINK

What a scam! What do ya think?

Jon...

it is sad that the world is so full of scams and misleading things.
i remember a time when it felt good to give and it made you happy to be able to give.
i am still living in the past by choice.

man thats rough...they should be ashamed.
glad i went with as5

Tornado Guy

Dont jump to conclusions just yet....

There are some serious flaws with the way the materials were tested. The test do not take into consideration the solubility of the binder in water. Most of the thermal pastes are silicone oil based, which does not have very high water solubility as everyone who has tried to wash this stuff off your hands knows.

I would ask that either the author rework his experiment to remove the binder from the 'silver' prior to testing or use a different testing method altogether (ICP-AAS, FAAS).

how do you suggest removing the oil from thousands of tiny silver particles?

Brand names all the way... Well, at least for things that are under 10 dollars, that will last me all year.

So why does AS3 and AS5 not show the same symptoms in the tests?

Susquehannock said:
This issue has been floating around for a while now.

If it isn't spelled correctly on the package look out!
Artic vs. Arctic ...

Arctic Silver fraud
The overclocker's article had nothing to do with brand name fraud. It was about content mislabelling.

Very nice testing/article SSS!! I got a quick question though.. i remember from chemistry that there is silver oxide and other kinds of compounds with silver in them, does that testing solution work even when silver is in a compound?

The testing solution was Nitric acid and Muriatic acid that was pre-mixed professionally.

So, how come Nitric Acid and Hydrochloric Acid are colourless but that solution is red?

Chemical tests can be fooled or turn up false negatives. As already stated, silicone oil on the silver particles will prevent them from dissolving due to the acid. The only way to tell for definite is to use a Nuclear Mass Spectrometer.

That is one test that turns up postitive or negative. To be more precise you need confirmation. Reduction of silver ions with bromine will result in a characteristic grey precipitate, for example.

Fink said:
Dont jump to conclusions just yet....

There are some serious flaws with the way the materials were tested. The test do not take into consideration the solubility of the binder in water. Most of the thermal pastes are silicone oil based, which does not have very high water solubility as everyone who has tried to wash this stuff off your hands knows.

I would ask that either the author rework his experiment to remove the binder from the 'silver' prior to testing or use a different testing method altogether (ICP-AAS, FAAS).

I stand by my conclusions 100%. Furthermore my conclusions are accurate and have been proffesionally tested and my results concur with two PHD's that tested this as well.

I will allow OCZ and Compusa every opportunity to investigate his matter and to fix this matter.

L337 M33P

the stuff ONLY tests for silver, not even silver oxide

and besides, silver oxide is different chemically and also different from silver in terms of its properties (e.g. heat transfer)

just like if you had some diamonds or pencil lead, yes, supposedly they are the same stuff right? but are they really the same?

and besides, i could proally get you some zinc or maganese that would look more silver than silver

but trust me, its different

Very nice SSS (I wonder if nanotherm will ever make a "silver" paste :D )
I wonder what OCZ and comp will say...if anything. What sparked the idea of testing for silver?

you know what? now that i think about it

i bet you if silversinksam spilled some of that solution on himself,

HE'D PROALLY TEST POSITIVE FOR SILVER CONTENT

shows quality where it counts; excellent thermal properties

(hopes sss isn't offended by this) :p

Back