• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

folding on a machine that doesn't have internet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandman001

Just Freeze It
Alright, my main rig (sig) is in my room and doesn't have internet run up to it yet.

Is there a way to get a decet amount of WU's up to it and let it fold those until I can burn them to a CD and put them on this computer to upload?

Specifics would be nice as well, thanks.

just get some internet. wireless 802.11 isint that expensive anymore. or just get high grade cat 5e and run it out a window and up the house to the romm with the computer. or they have routers that let u put the interent threw the power lines. not all to fast but if its just for folding then who cares

I'm going to run some internet up there once my dad gets some time (and is willing) to help me.

Is there a way to do what I asked?

from what I've heard, no, I've heard there are id's used to make sure that the encryption isn't broken that requires that the machine that does the work sends the unit back, but wait for wedo or nik to comment

There is a way to do this, listen closely. The machine that does have internet access on, get the WU's then once the machine has the WU's, you can stop folding on that machine. Take the folders containing everything with folding. Then, YOU MUST grab the registry entry for Pande, this is where the security is kept. Navigate to: Start > Run and type regedit. Once there, find the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > PandeGroup. Right click on the PandaGroup folder in the Registry and select Export. It will ask you to name the registry entry, name it pande group or whatever.

Now, you have all you need from the machine with internet. Take all this data to the machine without internet and take your reg file, right click it and select Merge. Then run FAH and you should be good to go.

sandman001 said:
Just so it takes longer?

Could you set up more than that?
The most you can setup at once is 8 with the new 4.0 client. 8 is a good idea, this way the machine can run for like a week without the need to connect, it will stay busy for a long while!

I have installed F@H on a usb flash drive. The -local flag is used to make sure all files are written to the usb drive only. I take it to work, and fold a while there, then take it to my dad's and fold a while there, take it to my buddy's house... you get the idea. Then I can take it back to the original computer and turn in my WU. I carry the usb on my key chain so whenever I want to fold a while, I just plug it in. Doing it this way, it writes nothing to the computer it is using at the time. It all stays on the USB drive.

I also have the different flavors of One-click on it along with EMIII to hide it if I need, cpuid to check a processor before I borg, to make sure I install the right one-click, and a copy of the Flash video in case I have the opportunity to show it to someone, to convince them to fold for me.

For you this would be great. Get a cheap 16MB usb flash drive for $10. Install F@H to it. Use the -local flag. Download a WU from the main comp with internet. Move the USB drive to the other comp. When it's done with the WU, move it back to the main comp and turn it in and get another. Rinse and repeat.

*edit* I do not use the service install to fold with, on the usb drive. I use the plain text console and start it manually.

Last edited:
I have sneakernetted WU's while offshore at work from my laptop which I folded them with through a machine that had internet access using floppies, which was a PITA. A USB pen drive would be ideal for sneakernetting the work.

Nik, the machine that has access to the internet doesn't have to have the same ID as the machine folding the wu, but your way is great to get the required registry info into the computer without any internet access. Any work done on any machine can be sent in on another machine, but only the first machine that returns that particular WU will get credit, to forstall any cheating. I read this over at the community forums in a post from one of the guys at Stanford(maybe Vijay himself).

So what you are saying is that all I have to do is just move the work unit folder from the comp with internet access to the comp that doesn't have internet access? All I have to do is wait till the unit is complete and copy that folder back to a comp that has internet access?

muddocktor said:
I have sneakernetted WU's while offshore at work from my laptop which I folded them with through a machine that had internet access using floppies, which was a PITA. A USB pen drive would be ideal for sneakernetting the work.

Nik, the machine that has access to the internet doesn't have to have the same ID as the machine folding the wu, but your way is great to get the required registry info into the computer without any internet access. Any work done on any machine can be sent in on another machine, but only the first machine that returns that particular WU will get credit, to forstall any cheating. I read this over at the community forums in a post from one of the guys at Stanford(maybe Vijay himself).
Hmm, mudd, IIRC, if you start a WU on a machine without the matching security key, it will dump the WU, I have had this happen before. I think it is best to use the ID security reg entry on the machine that downloaded the WU AND the one to do the work.

Back