• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

160gb only reading as 127gb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drenader

Ok i bought this maxtor 160gig harddrive on sale and it cost the same as a 100gig one. Windows XP pro is only reading it as 127. I heard there is a limit XP has. Ive tried different things bit nothing seems to let me use all of my 160gigs, i under stand that all 160 wont be there but more than 127gig should be, what can i do to fix it?

If its ATA 133 and uses a special card you have to reload windows and when it asks "if you need to install 3rd party scsi drivers press f4" Do it.

so i need to wait till the next time i reset the system in order to do that?

Hey, I got the seem issue with my Maxtor 160gig. It used to work fine with 155gigs, but when I reformatted it it only shows up as a 127gig hd. I have installed Sp1 and the Maxtor apps that fully unlock my 160gigs but it don't show up still. I have used about 27gigs and drawing near 90gigs. Before I had used the same amount but had 140gigs on my had.

Well I want my 160gigs to work also, I have the most recent system and it should work like before.

do i need to partion it when i reformat? because i already partitioned it after and it didnt do anything/

drenader did ur new hd come with a cd? I bought a 160 western digital and a 200 gig Seagate. Both times windows didnt show it installed or was reading it wrong. but after running the software that came in the cd, it worked

Back