Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > Intel CPUs
Intel CPUs
Forum Jump

p3-850

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-19-01, 11:16 AM Thread Starter   #1
dem1an

p3-850

what do you guys think of the p3-850. it's the highest chip with a 100mhz fsb. i don't have pc150 memory so starting the overclocking in the under 133 range is probably a good thing. what chip are you guys stoked about? i'm in the market for a new chip and would like to get close to 1ghz.
dem1an is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-19-01, 05:07 PM   #2
Phil

you won't even need 133mhz memory unless you plan on using a peltier, you will be pretty lucky to get a 125mhz fsb out of it probabally less, you should be able to achieve a 112mhz fsb for 952mhz prett easily but not much more, you should have gone for a lower multiplyer, I wouldn't buy over a 700mhz p3 if I was after a 133mhz fsb as over that it is quite hit and miss between chips. good luck though.

Old 03-19-01, 11:55 PM Thread Starter   #3
dem1an

i'm sure it gets complicated with this next question then. what's better a p3-850 cpu doing 952mhz with fsb of 112 or a cpu or a p3-600 doing 855mhz with a fsb of 143. i guess i mean...is it more important to get the cpu up or the fsb up? thanks again.
dem1an is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-20-01, 03:16 AM   #4
DocClock aka MadClocker

10 Year Badge

I think they would be close at the mentioned speeds respectively, but clock for clock, a PIII 600E, or 700E, would smoke a 933, if they were all running at 933, because of the high memory bandwidth that comes with overclocking the bus.

Old 03-20-01, 05:33 AM   #5
gdog
Registered

I remember when the celermine 566 was reviewed on firingsquad.They were amazed that it overclocked to 952mhz, but in all benchmarks was whipped by a p3 650e at standard speed.
gdog is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-20-01, 03:06 PM   #6
Phil

generally a celeron will be as fast as a p3 150-200mhz slower depending on your memory speed.
my celeron 600@1.01ghz benchmarks about as fast as an 850mhz p3, but seeing as a p3 600 will overclock to about this speed and higher quite easily it starts to make the celeron look a little less good value

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > Intel CPUs
Intel CPUs