• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

screws won't come out of mobo standoffs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ge|atinousFury

Gel's roomate

I have a NF7s mobo and when I installed it I accidentally put 3 of the larger screws in it (for the pci cards, etc). I now can't get them out of the standoffs. I have the back of the case off and have tried holding the ends of the standoffs with pliers and trying to unscrew them but it is not working.

please help

If you continue to unscrew them, they will release from the case. Once free of the case, you will better be able to grab them with pliers and CAREFULLY unscrew them. Try not to let the screwdriver slip or your mobo will be toast.

N_D

If you do what Newbie_Doo suggests and they still don't come out you could try this. I suggest this because those little screws can be easilly stripped. Take a Dremel with a cutting wheel and cut into the screw head so you can use a flat head screwdriver. This will give you a lot more torque power than the phillips. If you don't want to do that and the screws don't have a rounded heads you could try using a pair of Vise-Grips. Use the Vise-Grips on the screw head and normal pliers on the standoff.

Dremel=faster disaster :) (I know, I own one...)

Either way, do not try to re-use the screws or the standoffs. Consider them trash or you will have similar trouble elsewhere with them.

N_D

Thanks for the advice. I think I will be able to get the mother board out and have a better hold on the stand offs. Thanks for the tips

I agree with the above. No power tools that close to the MB! I would use a socket on the screw instead of a screw driver. That's the one nice thing about the case screws. The less pointy your tools are the less chance of a fatal mistake. Besides, a socket will keep a better grip on the screw.

lol gone to lab for 2 hours and I have unknown posts by my roomate :)

Weird...I could theoretically post and answer "my" own question...but then that'd be dumb cuz I could just tell him on my own lol

BTW there's some great ideas in this thread...I'm glad I got to read it

I found that a bit of penetrating oil, like Berryman Chemtool or Liquid Wrench, can help get screws out when that happens.

Back