• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID 0 with same capacity but diff. buffer cache size?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kidd636

Registered
Just a quick question:

I have two 120GB Seagates, but one only has a 2MB buffer cache and the other one has 8MB.

Question is, can I still RAID 0 these two drives without any issues... or any performance loss that will negate the speed gain from doing a RAID 0 in the first place? Or RAID doesn't give a damn about cache size, the only thing that is important is that they must have identical capacity?

I am running a 100gb and 120gb drive in RAID 0 (200gb array), so they don't need to be the same size...

About the cache, I have no idea. Most people run identical drives so it may be hard to get a definate answer. Just try it and see what happens. It won't hurt anything...

you can raid pretty much any 2 drives. i have even set up a raid stripe with 1 ata 100drive, and one much smaller ata 66 drive. Don't ask me why i did that, it was a temporary solution, but it works. :D.

i wouldn't worry a bit about it. Slap those suckers in there!

cheers,

J.

Back