• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hydor l30/whitewater problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pwnt by pat

i am working on a chiller project, conferting my existing water into the chiller. i get everything hooked up and ready to go. bios reads 20c idle. NO WAY. the water temp was too low for my home mouth electronic thermometer to read so i know theres no way the cpus over 50f.

i open the chiller to take a look. i find out somethings going on with the pump. almost no water is being pushed through. in my setup i have the freezer box of a minifridge submersed in 80:20 antifreeze/water along with the pump. the waterblock is about 2.5 ft up from the pump because the case is sitting on the fridge. i figured something must be caught in the pump.... after cleaning the hair out (ew i know) temps come at 18 idle.

after that i rechecked how tight the waterblock is to the mobo... the board started to bend and thats way too tight... 18c still just in bios.

now ive taken my setup completely apart and the res is sitting on my floor with the pump. it appears the pump is going full with 0 head and 0 tubing... it makes pretty waves.

then i put the whitewater on and lo and behold the flow is reduced to slower than slowly pouring yourself some tea. ( i couldnt think of another analagy that didnt involve me peeing)

so now i have to crack open my whitewater to see if theres anything clogging it up. before i do though, is there any solution i might be able to run through it like drano or dran-x or something so i dont have to open it?

kthxbye
pat

I had sum stuff stuck in my WW, just clean everything out real good, and then run the system with some rubbing alchohol in it.

Drain it..

Then fill it back uper! :)

I think I might take a stab at it...

Your water temp's pretty cold, and you're running 80% antifreeze. Antifreeze at the temperature just about turns into sludge. So...If I were you...I would run something like 10-15% antifreeze, and then maybe the rest methanol. You could probably get away with a little distilled in there too.

Here's an older, but still very relevant article:
http://www.overclockers.com/articles609/index02.asp

Apparently, 50/50 Methanol has a freezing point of -49C, while 50/50 Glycol has a freezing point of -29C. Methanol has both a lower freezing point and a lower viscosity.

What those guys said, plus don't trust oral thermometers. They are very accurate for their intended range, but often do not read any lower than ~85 F.

thanks for the replys. i know thats was kind of random typing but it was late. i opened the block open later that night and to out all the gunk that was in there. it was nasty. after that and warming the pump up, it started pumping normally again. too bad now i have to re-spray insulate my block again, damn. the oral thermometer was just to get a general idea since i have 0 access to any real thermometer. thanks for that artical link. i saw that before last year when i first started watching this site but i forgot about it. i also didnt understand it either.

anyone know where i can get some methanol? in western pennsylvania?

since im insane, once i get this chiller working ill probably start working on an even more powerful dehumidifier SUBMERSION chiller and trade my friend the fridge chiller for the dehumidifier. anyway, i might as well ask this here too... is there any dielectric liquid that has a low LOW sludge/freeze point (beond -50).

kthxbye
pat

Not quite sure where to get methanol - you could try an auto parts store. I know winshield wiper fluid has some methanol in it, but usually it's around 20%-30%.

Back