• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mcx478-v... boy, was it a bad choice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gakkuken

as shows in my sig, that pc was cooled by aeroflow not so loud and easy to install. this mcx478-v was highly recommanded by a lot of people and review sites as well.... so i went ahead and bought one.

boy... was it a bad choice... it wasn't that easy just to mount and put the clips on but it require some spaces to clip the fan on and some force as well. (it will be fine for the people w/ removeable mobo tray)

w/ this heatsink, i can't even get 3.44 stable.... maybe b/c the fan i am using, it's a panaflo 67cfm 92mm model. this fan only have 45dba i think, which isn't very bad (probably as loud as the aeroflow's tmd fan) i know this heatsink might cool better w/ tornato fan, but this heatsink still perform very poorly in my opinion. anyway, just here to let out my anger about this expensive and junkie heatsink...... kind of late, and i just give up the whole thing and ready to go to sleep

The heatsink should perform better than your old one, unless you've decreased airflow with the new sink.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong with installing a new heatsink. Did you properly clean the CPU surface with an agent that does not leave a residue? If not, heat transfer will be impaired. Did you correclty apply a decent thermal paste? If not...
Did you try remounting the heatsink? A poor or even faulty mount leads to much higher temps.

yeah, i tried to install it twice, and i am very sure i got it on correctly.... this thing just plain sucks

what thermal paste, and how thick? this heatsink should not be that bad, what are your temps

stan03 said:
what thermal paste, and how thick? this heatsink should not be that bad, what are your temps

as5, lian-li pc75 case w/ 2x 80mm antec tri-light fans mount on the back, case is extremely cool

1.65v on the 2.0a chip temp:
w/ aeroflow 29c idle, 48 load
w/ mcx478-v 38c idle, 53 load

Well the link archilochus puts you in is not a apples to apples comparision...Different fans are going to get you different results...The test on the Swiftech MCX 4000 was done with a Y.S. Tech TMD fan...They have a whopping 37cfm...:rolleyes:...The Thermalright heat pipe sitting atop the comparison has a 68cfm 80m/m fan sitting on it...;) ...What kind of temperatures are you getting??? Following the instrucitons that you have been linked to and installing the heat sink...Running your computer for several hours and then removing the heat sink to see what kind of contact you have between the heat sink and CPU would be a good idea...:)...Item #11 on the Artic Silver instructions that you have been linked to should be what you are looking for...:D

Last edited:
Well I quess I'll find out first hand tomorrow morning when I apply both Swiftech MCX478-V & MCX159-P to an Asus P4C800dlx. I'll be using a panaflo 80mm Ultra above and AS5 below.
This will be replacing a Zalman 7000-cu whilst the max3 goes in for it's RMA. I'm expecting better performance outta the cooling. If I get more outta the board, well, that's extra :):).
See ya tomorrow ;);)

Last edited:
YOU HAVE A 2.0A AND YOU'RE COMPLAINING ABOUT GETTING 3.44GHZ OUT OF IT?

i never use caps. but this requires it.

I CAN'T SYMPATHIZE

LtBlue14 said:
YOU HAVE A 2.0A AND YOU'RE COMPLAINING ABOUT GETTING 3.44GHZ OUT OF IT?

i never use caps. but this requires it.

I CAN'T SYMPATHIZE

i was running 3.48 w/ my aeroflow........

I didn't much care for the MCX478-V either. With the brackets for the 92mm fan installed, it was difficult to attach the clamping clips because they tended to interfere with the fan brackets. I also had my mobo mounted in a Sonata case so there isn't a lot of clearance between the HS and the PSU. The fan mounting method seems kind of second rate too, not very sturdy.

I didn't notice any performance problems for the 5 days I had it installed. In the end, I dumped it for a SP-94. At least I was able to use the same fan, and I traded the Swifty for a 2.0 Celeron. Hope the guy who got it is happier than I was.

Hookem said:
Well the link archilochus puts you in is not a apples to apples comparision...Different fans are going to get you different results...The test on the Swiftech MCX 4000 was done with a Y.S. Tech TMD fan...They have a whopping 37cfm...

The vantec aeroflow uses that same fan--and it is a better performer, that is what I believe he was reffering to:), anyhow all the thermalright coolers have super powerful fans, and I would wager that using the same fan on every sink, the chart would be the same.

The vantec aeroflow uses that same fan--and it is a better performer, that is what I believe he was reffering to, anyhow all the thermalright coolers have super powerful fans, and I would wager that using the same fan on every sink, the chart would be the same.

That is a wager I would take any day of the week and twice on Sunday... :)

I don't know what the problem is....... Not only was installing a breeze, but very good cooling as well !!!

Currently: Ambient 20.5c
Cpu 24c
N/B 27c

As this is a new install of a mobo, I haven't got all the software loaded, but I played UT2003 for an hour and the Cpu shot up to a whopping 32-33c !!!!

Yes, so far stock speeds... I B back tomorrow and give you some o/cing numbers, but I am impressed enough to buy more of them if this is the trend.... Boy am I Happy !!!

Back