• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fast hdd question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NetDaemon

Registered
I am looking for a fast hdd to accompany the rest of my setup. I dont care about capacity as I already have a fileserver. Thanks in advance.

http://www.seagate.com/products/discfamily/cheetah/index.html << 15,000 and 10,000 RPM hard drives, though you need an UltraSCSI 160 card to use them. Otherwise, a standard 7200 RPM hard drive would be plenty fast for pretty much everything but capturing uncompressed DVD quality video (though you'll get better performance from SATA vs. standard IDE because the cable is smaller and absorbs less interference from other stuff in the case, not because the bus is faster).

what format? scsi, sata, or ata?

for sata the fastest is definitely whe WD raptors
for ata133 i don't know the absolute fastest, but Maxtor Dimond Max9s are pretty fast
for scsi, i have no exp. sorry

Many of the 15K RPM U160 and U320 SCSI drives can physically move data off the platers in excess of 55mb/sec, and even as fast as 80mb/sec depending on format type. These are also complimented by avg. seek times below 3ms! :eek:

That's probably THE fastest you can get. The problem is, your wallet is going to feel the speed by the whipping of bills out of it's folds; this performance isn't cheap.

Back