• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are there terminal or konsole skins? How to get that see-through look?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ge|atinousFury

I've been looking at screenshots of linux distro's and I see a ton of people's terminal screens or shell konsole screens that are completely see-through. Is this a skin that I can apply to Fedora? If so, how do I go about getting it and installing it?

It's not a skin. If you're using konsole in KDE, you can adjust the schema settings to make it trasnperant or color-tinited.

For other window managers I prefer either an eterm or aterm which both support transperancy also by launching them with the appropriate flags.

That's for the kmenu.

For the terminal, open konsole (monitor w/shell icon). Go to the Settings drop down menu. There are some pre-built schemas (themes for konsole), you can also choose to configure it manually, and then save the settings.

Arkaine23 said:
That's for the kmenu.

For the terminal, open konsole (monitor w/shell icon). Go to the Settings drop down menu. There are some pre-built schemas (themes for konsole), you can also choose to configure it manually, and then save the settings.

SWEET!!! Oh man, Fedora was really frustrating to get going (Nvidia drivers, learning curve for command lines, etc.) but I'm liking it more and more as time goes by :)

Thanks Arkaine23

This is a fake transparency, you wont see the windows behind it, you'll just see your desktop picture through the terminal.

For real transparent windows you need to get into alpha shaded frame buffering on your xserver, which is difficult to set up and very picky about your hardware.

Back