• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5900se FPS Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CarKing

Registered
Hey guys, I just upgraded my old GF4 ti4200 128mb vid card to a brand new geforce fx 5900se 128mb card. I went into a game and only gained 5FPS!!! Now, there is no way with the differences in the cards that I would only get a 5 FPS increase. My system includes:
MSI K7N2 Delta mobo
AMD 2.1ghz
Corsair Dual Channel 512mb DDR 333mHz ram
Maxtor 120gb 7200

People with gf fx5200 and 2.4ghz are getting better fps than me with the same game with all the eye candy on. Any idea? I tried tweaks, and everything I could find. This review shows I should atleast get 50-60fps: http://firingsquad.com/hardware/evga_e-geforce_fx_5900_xt_review/page5.asp

Any help is greatly appreciated.

ya.. that sounds about right....

now if you ever turned on AA or anisotropic... it would be much less of a performance hit.

plus all the newer features, PS1.4 and other newer stuff are available if not run faster. but poly to poly.. there isnt much speed diff

Buhammot is right.
Actually your 5900 won't be much if any faster than your old 4200 when using the same features. However with the 5900 you can crank the eye candy all the way up and take advantage of higher res, AA Af, DX9....etc. and still get as good and better fps as with your old 4200.

Cheers,
Mike

Well I got the Omega drivers and gained like 10-20fps which makes me pretty happy. I am gonna play with AA and AF and see what happens. A lot of the tweak guides for this game say to turn off AA and AF, any idea why? I am a novice when it comes to they whys and hows of video cards, just the basics is what I know.

That and people with lesser systems still seem to get better results than me which is aggrivating lol.

Omega drivers are mainly for speed and stability.
They tended to do better with Ati cards rather than nvidia.
Although both makes has their advantages and disadvantages.
You gained the extra fps and was advised to leave off the AA and AF to increase speed, NOT for better pic quality. My advice is to use the regular nvidia drivers, with as much eye candy turned on as possible, and DO NOT worry about the fps untill you can tell the game slow down.

Cheers,
Mike

Problem is with this game, between 30-45fps is a HUGE difference. With the AA and AS on, it is around 34fps average, and without them it is about 43 with the nvidia drivers. Then with omega without AA and AS it is like 55-60fps.

CarKing said:
Problem is with this game, between 30-45fps is a HUGE difference. With the AA and AS on, it is around 34fps average, and without them it is about 43 with the nvidia drivers. Then with omega without AA and AS it is like 55-60fps.

That's simply because the Omega drivers is sacrificing filtering for speed. Such optimized drivers are tweaked inside the drivers, and or, in the registry. If the picture quality looks good for you then continue using the drivers. If you want better pic quality, and you can run 34 fps without it bothering you, then go with regular nvidia drivers. Also note that you can gain more speed by setting your video display to a lower resolution.

You can also try gaining some fps by gradually turning back the quality tab and performance tabs in your nvidia display drivers. I've found the best way to gain fps is by setting the FSAA to 2XQ and AnsioFiltering to App. Preference. However you may need FSAA set to 4X if 2XQ doesn't smooth out your pic enough. I do reccommend leaving AF set to App. Preference though.

Cheers,
Mike

Nascar Racing 2003. The only graphics are pretty good with the AA and AF turned off. The only part I really notice it is when I go into the turns, and look at the tops of the wall where it starts getting jagged. Other than that, it looks great, at least the same as it did with the AA and AF on.

I run NASCAR 2003 myself!
I run FSAA at 2XQ.
Ansio-AF at App. Preference (important to do so in N2k3.)
Everything else in the nVidia Display control box is set to best pic quality. I run the screen resolution at 1024X768. Be sure to lower your pci memory setting from the high number default, usually about 128mb to 2mb.

In NASCAR 2k3 I have the track draw ahead at 80%.(important)
No wheel shown. 4 cars behind, 20 forward. There were a couple of setting at the bottom right of the NASCAR video page that I also did not check, but I forget what they were without looking. everything else was on and max or near it.

I usually average about 39 fps with highs of about 50 fps and lows of about 25 fps (worst case.)

But I do have a P4 cpu running at 3.5 ghz and a gig of ram.

Cheers,
Mike

Back