• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats the better gaming system ? Close call i think . . .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaRky4YoU

- AMD SYSTEM + 9800 PRO

LG 52xCD-Romspeler IDE 21,00

Super-Flower SF-461BK Black Case (400 Watt) 88,00

DDR TwinMos 1024MB PC400/PC3200 Dual Channel Kit (CL 2.5) 155,00

Maxtor 6Y080M0 : 80 Gb (7200/150-8Mb) S-ATA 81,00

Abit NF7-S Nforce 2 106,00

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (333FSB/512KB) 91,00

Cooler Master AERO 7+ AMD t/m XP3200+ 29,00

Club3D ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128MB DVI/TV 299,00

Subtotaal 895,00

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P4 SYSTEM + 9600 PRO

Super-Flower SF-461BK Black Case (400 Watt) 88,00

LG 52xCD-Romspeler IDE 21,00

DDR TwinMos 1024MB PC400/PC3200 Dual Channel Kit (CL 2.5) 155,00

Maxtor 6Y080M0 : 80 Gb (7200/150-8Mb) S-ATA 81,00 81,00

Abit IC7 (Canterwood/Ser. ATA/usb 2.0/6ch. sound) 136,00

Intel Pentium-4 2800/512-800 FSB Box (HT Support) 219,00

Club3D ATI Radeon 9600Pro 128MB DVI/TV 157,00

Subtotaal 882,00

its only for gaming and i will overclock

I recall hearing that the 9800 Pro isn't worth the extra money over the 9600 Pro so I'm leaning towards the Pentium4 one. The stock Heatsinks are pretty good on Pentium4s so overclocking should be ok :)

I think the Heatsinks on P4s have thermal pads so go out and use your $10 extra on a nice glob of Artic Silver 3 or 5 (may not contain silver :) )

-DaMouse

i would get the AMD system with a 9600pro, and save the extra $150 for a bigger better monitor or killer surround sound, if games are your thing.

with the 2500 you'll need to overclock a tad just to be on par with that intel systems stock setup. I guess what it comes down to is which system YOU can overclock better. The only intel computers i own is a P3 800mhz hp pavilion, a p3 600mhz hp pavillion, a p2 233 mhz notebook. All my faster systems are AMD. They load games real fast and in the game they work awsome. with a HT intel overclocked towards its limits on air, it will probably whip a amd 2500 overclocked to its limits in sandra cpu bench; however, amd could be a little better for games. Maybe somebody here has both systems and can compare. I know a 2.8 with ht overclocked near the limits is VERY fast, but so is an amd xp at around 2500mhz! I mean say u clock the intel to 3.5 ghz, now lets say intels get 6 operations per cycle, and amd gets 9 operations per cycle- theoretically the amd potentially could execute 22500 operations while the intel could only theoretically achieve 21000 at 2.5 ghz vs 3.5 ghz. Thats just theoretical though, and cpus naturally have such a high frequency because things are done less efficiently on a cpu because they are meant to handle all kinds of different things. A cpu is a jack of all trades and a master of none. For example, in some cases the intel wins hands down simply because in the case of doing 2+2 over and over, clock speed is god... in a game amd is quite successful because in games things are done more efficeintly, which can give amd an edge at times.

I like computers! I like the intel! I like the AMD! if you want to send me both systems I will test them and tell you which one really is better for gaming :p

intel will win hands down, no doub about that, why u ask? simply because it's way more expensive than an AMD. Most of us here uses our computer to edit movies, convert, gaming, and image editing. Because of AMD architecture of the CPU it performs on par with the intel at gaming at a slower clock speed. But at converting intel wins hands down due to it's larger clock speed. So if u gonna do alot of encoding then go with intel, if not then go with the AMD and save some money.

The two processors, even when overclocked, are so close in gaming performance that its not worth debating. If you're building a system for gaming, then the video card is the main consideration. A 9600 Pro is nothing compared to a 9800 Pro. For gaming, the first system wins hands down on this basis alone.

warlock110 said:
intel will win hands down, no doub about that, why u ask? simply because it's way more expensive than an AMD. Most of us here uses our computer to edit movies, convert, gaming, and image editing. Because of AMD architecture of the CPU it performs on par with the intel at gaming at a slower clock speed. But at converting intel wins hands down due to it's larger clock speed. So if u gonna do alot of encoding then go with intel, if not then go with the AMD and save some money.

Perhaps, but I think the main difference point between the two systems is the video card. The AMD/9800 Pro combination would be a better gaming combo than the Intel/9600Pro.

However with similar cards there is no doubt that the much more expensive intel setup would be faster in games.

Recently a lot of people here have been saying that AMD is faster for games, and that really only applies to Athlon 64/FX based systems.

heh some say go amd some say go pentium . . IM CONFUSEDDDD lol, btw i odnt do video editing or something, just gaming

To be honest, either one will play games very well, but the 9800 Pro will beat the snot out of the 9600 Pro in benches and last a good bit longer, too. And the Intel doesn't necessarily win just because it costs more. :rolleyes: Seriously, the 9800 Pro is going to make all the difference in the world, especially with longevity. I would choose the AMD system any day of the week if my options were the same.

well this is what i say if u need a rig to use very intense programs eg video editing or sumthing like folding u go intel unless u just want to save money or play games go amd, if u got the cash or u play games and do video editing go intel
btw this is what i think too there is almost no difference with either one u go intel or amd its what u needit for that matters the most (and can pay for).

Whatever you do, get the best video card if you can, because thats what matters now. Video cards are taking on games alone more and more, I switched from amd to intel because I can get just about the same performance for gaming, but I can get better performance in video editing etc. Basically it was a fair trade off and it worked out for the better in my use.

hmmm. switch out that 2.8 and get a 2.4 and then swap out that 9600pro for a 9700pro/np or a 9800np overclock both and you got a system that will crack the whip on that amd :p

I thought you already bought a system after you posted like 5 threads with one sentence questions last week.

Back