Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

xp on an old 3gig HDD ..good/bad idea?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 01-25-04, 03:07 AM Thread Starter   #1
MadSkillzMan

xp on an old 3gig HDD ..good/bad idea?

Ok, ive been screwing around with linux, getting sick of xp. well one day i caught a nasty worm, had to reformat. screwed over my MBR with XP's recovery, couldnt boot at all. reformat again. Linux did something else...so i ended up going back all XP. i have a 15gig for OS, a 120gig for storage of my videos and photos, and a odd little 3gig from an older system i kept as FAT32. i was just to lazy to copy stuff from my old system and threw the drive in. well after crammin linux on it and much frustration, it is now blank. Would it be a bad idea to put winxp on a small older drive? i was thinking maybe doing it 3gig OS, 15gig Apps, and keeping the 120 as storage. im not a big fan of partitioning.

2x160GB Sata 1x250GB IDE
ATI 9600, dual monitors - 19" AOC LCD's, 42" RCA Plasma!
OC'ed Super Drive (8x SL to 16x DL, i heart firmware flash)
Backup Rig: 4 x Dell Optiplex G270 2.8ghz HT 1Gb ram
iPod Touch 3.1.2 Jailbroken!
OSX 5.8
MadSkillzMan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-25-04, 03:40 AM   #2
Blueacid

10 Year Badge

Should fit fine, but the old drive is probably slow - 5,400RPM, ATA-66 or 33, so it won't be too speedy.

You could give it a shot, but if it's really sluggish, then you know why.

A good move might be to put your swapfile on a different drive (perhaps the 120gigger) to help a little bit.
Blueacid is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-25-04, 04:02 AM   #3
Stedeman
The Half Asleep Member

3GB drive is under M$ 4GB minimum for XP but it should be slow ATA 66/33 and at best 512K buffer so you'll have squat in pre- fetch and will always be running out. your much better off partitioning the 120 to a 10GB for the OS or so and yes I saw you don't like to partition but it will yield the best results for what you have and if you DL a partition program it's easy as pie to do and will take no time at all.

Old 01-25-04, 04:31 AM   #4
james.miller

it'll fit no problem. I managed to fit xp on a 1.2gb drive. I made a thread here actually.

edit:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.p...hreadid=206273

there we go. winxp pro on a 1.2gb hdd.

E2160 @ 2.7ghz | Thermaltake The Orb cooler | Asus p5w-dh | 4Gb DDR-II pc6400| 1.00Tb of WD AAKS storage | Asus Xonar D2| 360 HD-DVD drive
Pioneer bd204 bluray sata drive | Corsair HX620w PSU | BFG GeForce 8800GTX | Silverstone SST-LC17b
| 22" dell e228wfp | 40" 1080p SONY 40w2000

ONKYO TX-SR805 | bi-amped mission m71i fronts | eltax center & bipolar rears
2x 12" custom built subwoofers powered by a denon pma-100m | PS3 with linux and a 250gb 3.5" internal drive | Nintendo wii

Last edited by james.miller; 01-25-04 at 04:57 AM.
james.miller is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.