• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone have this happen?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fu_Man_Chew

I was on kazaa looking for some files when I clicked on one and it started to download at 20-25 Kbs this is all on a 56K dial up!! and it was not just a number the file was at the half way point in no time!!

This happened to me three times now and to my cousin just down the road twice. It was also during off peak hours. I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

It's merely a computer hiccup. Generally, what will happen, let's say the computer is downloading constantly at 5k/sec. Suddenly your computer starts doing something intensive, for a few seconds, and the program monitoring throughput loses track of time. Suddenly, a few seconds have gone by, while the program thinks it's really only been a second. You then get a spike of 20k/sec.

I notice netstat live does this sometimes when I'm defragmenting, I'l be listening to some internet radio at 16k/sec, and it will pause for a while, and I'l get a spike of 3Mb or something.

Transfer rates and benchmarks can be distorted by altering the computers perception of one second. What could be 10 seconds worth of downloads, may have appeared to happen to the computer in 2 seconds, if the computer was doing heavy work it may lose track of time.

DDR-PIII said:
IVE HAD IT DO THAT THROUGH A FULL FILE, EVER NOTICETHAT IT WAS CORRUPT ?

Uh... want to turn off the caps lock pal? :D

Yes. I know what your saying about the hiccup. That has happened to me and I understand what is going on but I know this is different.

I normally click on a file say 5Mb and 20-30 min's later it's downloaded.. Only 1 of the 3 times this has happened to me I click of a file around 5Mb and 3-5 min's later it's done, downloaded and on my computer with no corruption! The other 2 times the connection was dropped after 30 seconds.

I was not going say anything about it, figured just one of those odd things that you only see happen once.. Then it happens two more times and my cousin tells me the same thing and I never told anyone! Also what I think may be a contributing factor is I recently got a new 56K modem. This never happened on my old 56K.. The new one is a fancy Intel one.

Back